Going green involves you, too

Almost one year ago, hundreds of students and many student organizations convened at the UC patio and watched as University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala signed the Green U initiative.

Throughout the past year, there have been complaints that the university has not worked hard enough to improve our campus, but are students also rising to the occasion and changing their ways of life?

Student organizations have been working hard. Sustainable U handed out Nalgene bottles to students in hopes of reducing the use of plastic water bottles. Gang Green recycles old cell phones and gives them to women who are subject to abuse.

Even our newly-elected Student Government President Brandon Gross and his team are working to improve the environmental consciousness of our campus. Gross has initiated talks with Green U about expanding the on-campus recycling program and wants to collaborate with UNICCO on working to provide better recycling removal programs.

Despite the student organizations working to make this campus greener, it seems that there is a lack of effort by individual students. The university has implemented the new U-Print system to help avoid printing frivolous documents, yet students still leave their papers on the trays.

Starbucks allows student to bring in their own coffee mugs for coffee instead of using the paper cups, but not many take advantage of this opportunity. Last year when the university competed in Recycle Mania, the student body placed 146 out of 149 in recycling bottles and cans and 120 out of 140 for recycling paper.

Before students complain about the university and its “lack of environmental consciousness” they should to take a look at they effort they are personally making to improve the campus. Making our campus greener is not just the responsibility of the administration.

Students need to take the extra effort to make small changes in their lifestyles. Recycle paper, even if it means walking an extra five minutes to the library.

This university is not just the school administration, and it’s up to the students as well to work together to make the change.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...