Dining services implement new eco-friendly initiatives

In accordance with the University of Miami’s environmental program, the on-campus dining halls have begun to take measures to be more environmentally friendly by buying locally-grown produce and antibiotic-free pork, administrators said.

These changes are part of Green U, a program designed to minimize the university’s ecological energy expenditures and wastefulness. It includes recycling programs and the use of biodiesel fuel.

Mel Tenen, vice president of Auxiliary Services, said UM has taken several steps to make the dining halls more “eco-friendly.”

Chartwells, the university’s food service provider, currently buys locally-grown tomatoes, peppers, watermelons and oranges. Locally-grown produce is beneficial to the environment because less carbon is emitted during transportation.

Also, only seafood that is considered sustainable by Seafood Watch, a program that raises consumer awareness about seafood sustainability, and cage-free whole eggs are purchased and used for cooking.

Tenen said the cooks carefully measure the ingredients of all the food served in the dining halls so that none is wasted, but also noted that leftover food on students’ plates and in the kitchen is eventually thrown away.

“It’s up to students to be responsible by taking the food they want and wanting the food they eat,” Tenen said.

The university is currently exploring options to manage food waste via composting – the decomposition of biodegradable organic matter – which allows for less garbage production. These changes may take place within a year, Tenen said.

Other campuses in the United States, such as the University of Colorado at Boulder, which implemented their first recycling program in 1976, have successfully used food composting.

“Composting has real potential for reducing solid waste disposal costs,” said John DeBell, recycling representative at the University of Colorado at Boulder. “We’ve been able to compost about 120 tons of food waste a year for the past four years.”

Composting also improves soil structure and reduces methane gas from landfills by keeping their size down. Reduced methane decreases the likelihood of water pollution and has fewer effects on global warming.

Bill Gerdts, a sophomore, thinks the university is making significant strides in trying to be more environmentally friendly.

“I think UM tries hard to promote the green issues,” he said. “But I think it’s the students that don’t make an effort to recycle.”

Anthony Minerva may be contacted at a.minerva@umiami.edu.

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team posted a 6-2, 6-0 victory against No. 5 ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...