Dining services implement new eco-friendly initiatives

In accordance with the University of Miami’s environmental program, the on-campus dining halls have begun to take measures to be more environmentally friendly by buying locally-grown produce and antibiotic-free pork, administrators said.

These changes are part of Green U, a program designed to minimize the university’s ecological energy expenditures and wastefulness. It includes recycling programs and the use of biodiesel fuel.

Mel Tenen, vice president of Auxiliary Services, said UM has taken several steps to make the dining halls more “eco-friendly.”

Chartwells, the university’s food service provider, currently buys locally-grown tomatoes, peppers, watermelons and oranges. Locally-grown produce is beneficial to the environment because less carbon is emitted during transportation.

Also, only seafood that is considered sustainable by Seafood Watch, a program that raises consumer awareness about seafood sustainability, and cage-free whole eggs are purchased and used for cooking.

Tenen said the cooks carefully measure the ingredients of all the food served in the dining halls so that none is wasted, but also noted that leftover food on students’ plates and in the kitchen is eventually thrown away.

“It’s up to students to be responsible by taking the food they want and wanting the food they eat,” Tenen said.

The university is currently exploring options to manage food waste via composting – the decomposition of biodegradable organic matter – which allows for less garbage production. These changes may take place within a year, Tenen said.

Other campuses in the United States, such as the University of Colorado at Boulder, which implemented their first recycling program in 1976, have successfully used food composting.

“Composting has real potential for reducing solid waste disposal costs,” said John DeBell, recycling representative at the University of Colorado at Boulder. “We’ve been able to compost about 120 tons of food waste a year for the past four years.”

Composting also improves soil structure and reduces methane gas from landfills by keeping their size down. Reduced methane decreases the likelihood of water pollution and has fewer effects on global warming.

Bill Gerdts, a sophomore, thinks the university is making significant strides in trying to be more environmentally friendly.

“I think UM tries hard to promote the green issues,” he said. “But I think it’s the students that don’t make an effort to recycle.”

Anthony Minerva may be contacted at a.minerva@umiami.edu.

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...