Chuck D drops the beat, talks about ‘Race, Rap, Reality’

Chuck D from the legendary rap group Public Enemy is well versed in controversy. The group was notorious for using rap to tackle issues of politics and racism with a confrontational timbre.

On Tuesday night, Chuck D dropped the beat and talked directly to students about “Race, Rap and Reality” in the Storer Auditorium.

He addressed an auditorium full of students for more than two hours on a number of topics including politics, music, education and economics.

Public Enemy, which was most prominent in the late ’80s and early ’90s, holds a reputation as one of the first rap acts to discuss social issues in their lyrics.

They gained widespread popularity through their song “Fight the Power,” which was featured in Spike Lee’s 1989 film Do The Right Thing. Public Enemy was also ranked number 44 on Rolling Stone Magazine’s list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.

During his lecture, which he referred to as a “vibe session,” Chuck D stressed the importance of education and understanding.

“We’re entering a realm where silencing intelligence is at an all-time high,” said Chuck D, who applauded the students for their academic efforts. “Minds are the real estate of the millennium.”

He added: “Learn the history of what you love. If you like something, know about it thoroughly. It’s all right to be a nerd. Be a nerd at whatever you like.”

He went on to discuss politics and the current war in Iraq. He expressed his support for Barack Obama, and emphasized the importance of foreign relations.

Chuck D, who has been touring college campuses since 1991 also explained the relationship between hip-hop and politics.

“Being on the streets is just knowing the streets, but politics is knowing who controls those streets,” Chuck D said. “Hip-hop was always that flashlight to know who controls what. There was always a curiosity factor involved into looking at who has the bottom line in your environment.”

Chuck D also provided an explanation for the title to another Public Enemy hit, “Don’t Believe the Hype.”

“What it means is to challenge your information,” Chuck D said. “And it’s coming from more places today than it was back then.”

Despite the varying opinions of his audience, Chuck D said he believes the most important thing young students can learn from him is to make their own decisions.

“I want students to leave with their own mind,” he said. “I want people to have control of their thoughts and opinions and make sure their opinions are based somewhere around the facts so they can hold on to those things.”

Joel Brown may be reached at j.brown22@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...