Chuck D drops the beat, talks about ‘Race, Rap, Reality’

Chuck D from the legendary rap group Public Enemy is well versed in controversy. The group was notorious for using rap to tackle issues of politics and racism with a confrontational timbre.

On Tuesday night, Chuck D dropped the beat and talked directly to students about “Race, Rap and Reality” in the Storer Auditorium.

He addressed an auditorium full of students for more than two hours on a number of topics including politics, music, education and economics.

Public Enemy, which was most prominent in the late ’80s and early ’90s, holds a reputation as one of the first rap acts to discuss social issues in their lyrics.

They gained widespread popularity through their song “Fight the Power,” which was featured in Spike Lee’s 1989 film Do The Right Thing. Public Enemy was also ranked number 44 on Rolling Stone Magazine’s list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.

During his lecture, which he referred to as a “vibe session,” Chuck D stressed the importance of education and understanding.

“We’re entering a realm where silencing intelligence is at an all-time high,” said Chuck D, who applauded the students for their academic efforts. “Minds are the real estate of the millennium.”

He added: “Learn the history of what you love. If you like something, know about it thoroughly. It’s all right to be a nerd. Be a nerd at whatever you like.”

He went on to discuss politics and the current war in Iraq. He expressed his support for Barack Obama, and emphasized the importance of foreign relations.

Chuck D, who has been touring college campuses since 1991 also explained the relationship between hip-hop and politics.

“Being on the streets is just knowing the streets, but politics is knowing who controls those streets,” Chuck D said. “Hip-hop was always that flashlight to know who controls what. There was always a curiosity factor involved into looking at who has the bottom line in your environment.”

Chuck D also provided an explanation for the title to another Public Enemy hit, “Don’t Believe the Hype.”

“What it means is to challenge your information,” Chuck D said. “And it’s coming from more places today than it was back then.”

Despite the varying opinions of his audience, Chuck D said he believes the most important thing young students can learn from him is to make their own decisions.

“I want students to leave with their own mind,” he said. “I want people to have control of their thoughts and opinions and make sure their opinions are based somewhere around the facts so they can hold on to those things.”

Joel Brown may be reached at j.brown22@umiami.edu.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...