Culture

Afroman concert rocks out for children with diseases

With scenic palm trees framed by the well-lit freshmen towers in the background, Saturday’s Afroman concert was a great time for students and also served a worthy cause.

The concert was part of Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s third annual Paddy Murphy Week, a week devoted to philanthropy. All of the funds raised go toward the Children’s Miracle Network, a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping cure children with diseases such as cancer, muscular dystrophy and diabetes.

Best known for his novelty song “Because I Got High,” Afroman, dressed in a suit, green top hat and gold chain, sang of lighting up and mellowing out.

His songs like “Let’s All Get Drunk Tonight” and outrageous crowd shout-outs were a hit and drew plenty of cheers from psyched concertgoers. Amid all of the excitement, Sigma Alpha Epsilon members hustled through the crowd with plastic containers, collecting money for their cause.

“I had a great time. Afroman is fun, shock-value entertainment, and it’s cool that this is raising money for a good cause,” said Mary Lohr, a sophomore.

Event coordinator Daniel Casamayor said he was satisfied with the turnout.

“I am glad that SAE had the opportunity to provide an entertainment venue for UM students and raise money and awareness for the Children’s Miracle Network,” said Casamayor, a junior. “Helping put together this concert has been a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I can’t wait to do it again my senior year.”

Kendra Zdravkovic may be contacted at k.zdravkovic@umiami.edu.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...