WOMEN’S TENNIS: Hurricanes blow away competition

The University of Miami women’s tennis team continued its winning ways this weekend as they earned two road wins against Boston College and the University of Maryland.

Boston College (9-8, 1-7 ACC), the team’s first unranked opponent since the University of Central Florida (6-1), could not find an answer to Miami’s (13-2, 5-2 ACC) play.

Leading the pack was sophomore standout Laura Vallverdu, who defeated Lana Krasnopolsky 6-4, 6-1. With the victory, No. 20 Vallverdu notched the 11th win of her last 12 contests at the No. 1 singles position. No. 53 Michaela Kissell, playing in the No. 2 spot, would beat Lauren Cash, 6-4, 1-6, 6-2, in what would turn out to be the only match that advanced into a third set.

Entering Sunday’s match against the University of Maryland, head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews needed only one more victory to tie the program’s all-time wins mark of 131 set by Ian Duvenhage from 1981-88.

“I can’t believe it’s been as long as it’s been,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “He [Duvenhage] was always a guy I have looked up to and have always had respect for, and it’s an honor to even think about breaking one of his records.”

Yaroshuk-Tews matched the historic milestone Sunday morning in College Park as the Canes earned the victory over Maryland (3-15, 0-9 ACC) despite Vallverdu and Farah, the No. 15 nationally ranked doubles team, losing in the No.1 position, 8-6.

“Every player had a good weekend and every player played well and did everything they were supposed to do”, Yaroshuk-Tews said. “This weekend definitely helped us work on some things and even though the playing conditions were not too good, the players pulled through.”

The Hurricanes have only two matches remaining on their schedule, both on the road. The team will wrap up the regular season next weekend against North Carolina State and Wake Forest.

“We have a chance to knock on some people’s doors. I think that our team has proven that they can play with any team in the country,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “And if we get into the ACC tournament, it will be very exciting to see how the girls play in that kind of environment.”

Corey Richard may be contacted at c.richard1@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...