Why transferring isn’t the solution

Every budding 18-year-old begins college with high hopes and expectations of the next four years. They plan on having fun and making great memories and friends that they’ll keep for a lifetime. Incidentally, they’ll get an education while they’re there.

However, through a variety of things that may go wrong while they’re in their first year, it seems as though many college freshmen decide to transfer. By simply walking the halls, it’s not unlikely to hear the incessant repetition of kids saying things like, “I want to be closer to home,” “I really don’t like it here,” and “I want to go somewhere better!”

But the constant inner battle never quite ends. Either these kids transfer and forever question if they made the right decision, or they stay and always dream about better living. The infinite paradox never quite ends.

So, why do students not like their school? My assumption is that those very people who want to leave their universities in hopes of a better place initially had unreasonable expectations for the places they were going. They may have expected amazing hook-ups, phenomenal teachers and perfect friends. Whatever they thought was coming, they soon realize those things were not realistic. And they crack. Instead of being grateful to the colleges they were attending, they assume the “grass is greener” at whatever new school they consider.

The solution? Be happy with your decision and find the positives of the school you’re attending. Whether the reason is the nightlife, your major or a friendly teacher who recommended a book to you, be glad you were given the opportunity to attend a university at all, rather than becoming the cliché “grease monkey” at Dominic’s Auto Parts.

Dan Buyanovsky is a freshman majoring in entrepreneurship. He may be contacted at d.buyanovsky@umiami.edu.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...