Why transferring isn’t the solution

Every budding 18-year-old begins college with high hopes and expectations of the next four years. They plan on having fun and making great memories and friends that they’ll keep for a lifetime. Incidentally, they’ll get an education while they’re there.

However, through a variety of things that may go wrong while they’re in their first year, it seems as though many college freshmen decide to transfer. By simply walking the halls, it’s not unlikely to hear the incessant repetition of kids saying things like, “I want to be closer to home,” “I really don’t like it here,” and “I want to go somewhere better!”

But the constant inner battle never quite ends. Either these kids transfer and forever question if they made the right decision, or they stay and always dream about better living. The infinite paradox never quite ends.

So, why do students not like their school? My assumption is that those very people who want to leave their universities in hopes of a better place initially had unreasonable expectations for the places they were going. They may have expected amazing hook-ups, phenomenal teachers and perfect friends. Whatever they thought was coming, they soon realize those things were not realistic. And they crack. Instead of being grateful to the colleges they were attending, they assume the “grass is greener” at whatever new school they consider.

The solution? Be happy with your decision and find the positives of the school you’re attending. Whether the reason is the nightlife, your major or a friendly teacher who recommended a book to you, be glad you were given the opportunity to attend a university at all, rather than becoming the cliché “grease monkey” at Dominic’s Auto Parts.

Dan Buyanovsky is a freshman majoring in entrepreneurship. He may be contacted at d.buyanovsky@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...