MEN’S BASKETBALL: Haith receives five-year contract extension

After this year’s NCAA tournament run, President Donna Shalala and incoming Athletic Director announced today that head basketball coach Frank Haith will have his contract extended through 2013.
Haith joined the program in 2004 after the firing of Perry Clark. He’s overseen a large turnaround, going from 14-16 in Clark’s last year to 23-11 last year. The team advanced to the second round, losing to Texas 75-72.
“Frank Haith has done a tremendous job in elevating the men’s basketball program into one of the premier teams in both the ACC and in the nation,” Hocutt said in a press release. “His character, dedication and relationship with his student-athletes and staff members are beyond reproach, and the University of Miami is proud to have one of the top young coaches in the nation.”
Haith will return all but four members of his team for next season. He will look for the first back-to-back tournament appearances at Miami since the 2000-2002 seasons.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...