Boyfriend doesn’t add to résumé

Dear Hurriqueen,

I’m so busy that I’m on campus about 12 hours every day. By the time I get home, I’m tired and grumpy. I’ve had no time for my friends outside of classes, and my boyfriend is absolutely neglected. I try to make time for him, but I don’t have any time for myself, let alone anyone else. He understands and doesn’t complain, but it sucks and I feel awful about it.

Is there anything I can do without giving up everything I’m involved with on campus?

– Terribly Busy ? ?

Dear Terribly Busy,

I feel you. No doubt, we ambitious Canes have the tendency to over-book our schedules. Sometimes I’m so tired after a busy day that I can barely muster the energy to work it in the gym, let alone stay awake for my boyfriend to enjoy the fruits of my labor before bedtime.

Even though my man bitches about it and says we don’t spend enough time together during the week, I don’t feel the slightest bit guilty for being dedicated to my commitments on campus. And neither should you.

Look at it like this: We’re only going to be in college once. That’s it. When the time comes to graduate, our then-sagging asses are going to hustle for the best job our degrees, connections, experience and ambition can get us.

Unless you’re one of those mooching hos who came to college to find a tool to marry (in which case you came to the wrong school), you should realize that investing more in your relationship at the cost of your academic and professional growth is only going to hinder your career prospects.

But while your relationship status does nothing for your résumé, I’m not advocating that you dump the boyfriend and become a power-hungry feminist who puts her career at the forefront of her life 24/7. Just limit the relationship to the weekends or when you need affection.

You might disagree with me. You might think that this guy is “the one” and that you should make more time for him. And if that’s the case, do some soul searching. Ask yourself, am I the next Betty Crocker or Oprah? Personally, I’d go for the latter. And as Oprah might say, Stedman is best on the sidelines.

Keep me updated.

XOXO,
The Hurriqueen.

Send responses and questions to hurriqueen@gmail.com.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...