Boyfriend doesn’t add to résumé

Dear Hurriqueen,

I’m so busy that I’m on campus about 12 hours every day. By the time I get home, I’m tired and grumpy. I’ve had no time for my friends outside of classes, and my boyfriend is absolutely neglected. I try to make time for him, but I don’t have any time for myself, let alone anyone else. He understands and doesn’t complain, but it sucks and I feel awful about it.

Is there anything I can do without giving up everything I’m involved with on campus?

– Terribly Busy ? ?

Dear Terribly Busy,

I feel you. No doubt, we ambitious Canes have the tendency to over-book our schedules. Sometimes I’m so tired after a busy day that I can barely muster the energy to work it in the gym, let alone stay awake for my boyfriend to enjoy the fruits of my labor before bedtime.

Even though my man bitches about it and says we don’t spend enough time together during the week, I don’t feel the slightest bit guilty for being dedicated to my commitments on campus. And neither should you.

Look at it like this: We’re only going to be in college once. That’s it. When the time comes to graduate, our then-sagging asses are going to hustle for the best job our degrees, connections, experience and ambition can get us.

Unless you’re one of those mooching hos who came to college to find a tool to marry (in which case you came to the wrong school), you should realize that investing more in your relationship at the cost of your academic and professional growth is only going to hinder your career prospects.

But while your relationship status does nothing for your résumé, I’m not advocating that you dump the boyfriend and become a power-hungry feminist who puts her career at the forefront of her life 24/7. Just limit the relationship to the weekends or when you need affection.

You might disagree with me. You might think that this guy is “the one” and that you should make more time for him. And if that’s the case, do some soul searching. Ask yourself, am I the next Betty Crocker or Oprah? Personally, I’d go for the latter. And as Oprah might say, Stedman is best on the sidelines.

Keep me updated.

XOXO,
The Hurriqueen.

Send responses and questions to hurriqueen@gmail.com.

Good day to everyone. The sun had just risen and those fax machines were already humming. The first ...

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Students in a School of Architecture design studio addressed some of Miami’s most intractable proble ...

Miami Law's Human Rights Clinic is intervening in a case focused on the issue of accountability ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...