Boyfriend doesn’t add to résumé

Dear Hurriqueen,

I’m so busy that I’m on campus about 12 hours every day. By the time I get home, I’m tired and grumpy. I’ve had no time for my friends outside of classes, and my boyfriend is absolutely neglected. I try to make time for him, but I don’t have any time for myself, let alone anyone else. He understands and doesn’t complain, but it sucks and I feel awful about it.

Is there anything I can do without giving up everything I’m involved with on campus?

– Terribly Busy ? ?

Dear Terribly Busy,

I feel you. No doubt, we ambitious Canes have the tendency to over-book our schedules. Sometimes I’m so tired after a busy day that I can barely muster the energy to work it in the gym, let alone stay awake for my boyfriend to enjoy the fruits of my labor before bedtime.

Even though my man bitches about it and says we don’t spend enough time together during the week, I don’t feel the slightest bit guilty for being dedicated to my commitments on campus. And neither should you.

Look at it like this: We’re only going to be in college once. That’s it. When the time comes to graduate, our then-sagging asses are going to hustle for the best job our degrees, connections, experience and ambition can get us.

Unless you’re one of those mooching hos who came to college to find a tool to marry (in which case you came to the wrong school), you should realize that investing more in your relationship at the cost of your academic and professional growth is only going to hinder your career prospects.

But while your relationship status does nothing for your résumé, I’m not advocating that you dump the boyfriend and become a power-hungry feminist who puts her career at the forefront of her life 24/7. Just limit the relationship to the weekends or when you need affection.

You might disagree with me. You might think that this guy is “the one” and that you should make more time for him. And if that’s the case, do some soul searching. Ask yourself, am I the next Betty Crocker or Oprah? Personally, I’d go for the latter. And as Oprah might say, Stedman is best on the sidelines.

Keep me updated.

XOXO,
The Hurriqueen.

Send responses and questions to hurriqueen@gmail.com.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...