SPORTS BRIEFS

Women’s Track and Field

Brown earns ACC honor

The Miami Hurricanes’ Ti’erra Brown was selected as the Atlantic Coast Conference Outdoor Track and Field Co-Performer of the Week. Brown earned the honor after running the nation’s fastest 400-meter hurdles time for the second consecutive week.

Women’s Basketball

Reid to participate in three-point contest

Despite the end of her season, senior guard Maurita Reid will be competing Thursday in the 20th annual Three-Point Shootout. The event takes place in conjunction with the NCAA’s Final Four at St. Mary’s University of Texas.

Reid finished the 2007-08 season second in the ACC with 76 three pointers. She ended her Miami career second all-time in three pointers made, 11 behind Desma Thomas (1992-1997).

The competition will air Thursday at 9 p.m. on ESPN (Channel 34 on campus).

Women’s Tennis

Yaroshuk-Tews inducted to Hall of Fame

Paige Yaroshuk-Tews was recently inducted into the Dade County Tennis Hall of Fame. Yaroshuk-Tews is in her seventh season as the head coach of the University of Miami women’s tennis team, and she is three wins away from being the school’s all-time winningest tennis coach. Yaroshuk-Tews was a four-year letter winner at UCLA, where she earned All-American honors twice in both singles and doubles.

Swimming and Diving

Ross earns Muscle Milk honor

University of Miami sophomore diver Reuben Ross was selected as the Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week for this past week. The honor comes after Ross won the NCAA title in the three-meter platform event and earned All-American honors for his fourth-place finish in the platform event and sixth-place finish in the one-meter event.

Information compiled by Pravin Patel from hurricanesports.com.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...