Pixar could score big with unconventional character

Take an unconventional idea and drop it in a conventional movie. That’s the concept behind Pixar’s latest feature film, Wall-E, about the last robot on Earth after humankind has abandoned it.

What kind of risk is Pixar taking? For starters, the protagonist Wall-E does not speak – in a conventional sense – nor does he have any facial features. And director Andrew Stanton, speaking during a conference call, said he is hoping it will be more fun for audiences to guess what Wall-E is thinking throughout the movie, rather than having him explicitly expressing himself.

The concept for Wall-E first swam around Stanton’s head as he was writing Finding Nemo, which won him the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature in 2003. Wall-E was a long time in the making though, because Stanton felt that he “needed a few hits under his belt” before he could sell the idea to producers. Because Wall-E speaks his own language, much like R2-D2, Stanton felt the project was riskier.

“That’s just enough of a radical idea for a conventional movie,” Stanton said.

As the last robot on Earth, Wall-E passes his days cleaning in isolation. This makes loneliness and questioning one’s existence the premise behind Wall-E. This may seem like weighty material for a children’s movie, but Pixar claims to not even create its films for children, necessarily.

“We never think about who our audience is,” Stanton said. “We sort of assume it’s going to be anybody.”

This artistic freedom seems to have worked well for Pixar in the past, as many of its films have received awards and nominations, allowing the creators to make unique and meaningful animated films.

Wall-E seems like it will live up to that lofty standard of success for a Pixar movie, in its own quirky way. What’s not to love about a pile of moving metal and bolts, right? The creators of the robot took a risk with the character, as they designed Wall-E to be “a machine first, and a character second,” Stanton said.

Stanton expects people will project personalities and human characteristics onto the robot as they do with pets. Even without facial expressions or language, from the trailer, Wall-E looks every bit as cute and empathic a character as any of Pixar’s talking fish, toys or rats.

Almost every year, Pixar releases an animated feature, and almost every year that film becomes an instant classic. Wall-E looks like a promising addition to the company’s impressive list of films.

Stanton doesn’t deny the pressure of having to live up to the expected success and quality, but he says that they’re used to it.

“It’s almost like a sports season,” Stanton said. “You just get out there and try to play a good game.”

From the looks of it, the release of Wall-E this summer could be another big win for both Pixar and audiences.

Carla Tabag can be contacted at c.tabag@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...