No More ‘Drunk Bus’?

Our caring and compassionate university has recently been threatening one of students’ most coveted privileges: the Ibis Ride.

The Ibis Ride, also known as the “drunk bus,” got its nickname after busing angry and intoxicated students from Stanford Circle to Coconuts Grove on the weekends.

Some students are not only drunk and belligerent in the extremely packed quarters of the shuttle, but they have also shown a tendency to throw up or smuggle alcohol on several occasions.

The fact is that the Ibis Ride shuttle is a privilege. It is a way for students to get to the local night spot safely and in reasonable time. However, students have taken advantage of this privilege as if it is their right. The university does its students a great service by providing the shuttle to the Grove on weekend nights. If it were canceled, the negatives of some vomit on the floors would be greatly outweighed by potential harm caused to students.

The very reason the shuttle exists is to protect students, and canceling the shuttle would only heighten the risk for inebriated students.

That being said, it is not the university’s job to be students’ babysitters. Students must learn responsibility and courtesy in order to keep their Ibis Ride privilege.

Even with all of the shuttle’s issues and pitfalls, imagine if there were no shuttles and a student decided to drive to Coconut Grove instead of taking a cab in order to save some money. There’s absolutely no telling the dangers students would face.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...