No More ‘Drunk Bus’?

Our caring and compassionate university has recently been threatening one of students’ most coveted privileges: the Ibis Ride.

The Ibis Ride, also known as the “drunk bus,” got its nickname after busing angry and intoxicated students from Stanford Circle to Coconuts Grove on the weekends.

Some students are not only drunk and belligerent in the extremely packed quarters of the shuttle, but they have also shown a tendency to throw up or smuggle alcohol on several occasions.

The fact is that the Ibis Ride shuttle is a privilege. It is a way for students to get to the local night spot safely and in reasonable time. However, students have taken advantage of this privilege as if it is their right. The university does its students a great service by providing the shuttle to the Grove on weekend nights. If it were canceled, the negatives of some vomit on the floors would be greatly outweighed by potential harm caused to students.

The very reason the shuttle exists is to protect students, and canceling the shuttle would only heighten the risk for inebriated students.

That being said, it is not the university’s job to be students’ babysitters. Students must learn responsibility and courtesy in order to keep their Ibis Ride privilege.

Even with all of the shuttle’s issues and pitfalls, imagine if there were no shuttles and a student decided to drive to Coconut Grove instead of taking a cab in order to save some money. There’s absolutely no telling the dangers students would face.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...