Juggling club includes street performers, students and pros

College students learn to juggle classes, work and a social life. On Thursday nights, they can also learn how to juggle colorful balls and bowling pins in the UC breezeway.

An unofficial club known as the Coconut Grove Juggling Exchange welcomes everyone to come and learn how to juggle.

The club members began as street performers in Coconut Grove, participating in events like the King Mango Strut. They practiced in the old Peacock house before it was converted into the Coconut Grove police station, then took to the streets to ply their trade for three years before winding up at the University of Miami.

The club includes about 50 members who drop by from time to time to toss multicolored balls and have a few laughs.

“We can teach anyone to juggle in 10 minutes,” said David Landowne, a physiology professor and member of the CGJE who has been juggling for 20 years.

The club runs like an open workshop where anyone can simply show up and juggle for as long as they want.

Michael Shore picked up juggling as a method of stress relief after his late night lab sessions.

“It opens up neurological pathways in the brain that aid in studying,” he said jokingly.

Irina Patterson, a local balloon artist and member of CGJE, believes juggling is a form of meditation, while also a source of income.

“I juggle for food or for beer,” she said.

While some participants use the sessions for stress relief, others pursue the hobby further by going to competitions.

Fifteen-year-old Andrew Ruiz started attending the juggling sessions three years ago with his mother, Connie McGehee. He grew to love it and began to participate in tournaments worldwide. He is now aiming to join the World Juggling Association in St. Louis.

Whether for relaxation, competition or light-hearted fun, the CGJE jugglers have a few words of advice.

“Getting over the embarrassment is the hardest part, [and]the second problem is people get too excited,” Landowne said. “There is always more to learn.”

Ivette Figueroa may be contacted at i.figueroa@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...