It’s great to be a Miami Hurricane

Over the past couple of years, it has been hard to call myself a Miami fan. Not out of embarrassment, but the sense of dread that overcame me every time I thought about it.

Take a look back at the end of football season. Our football team notoriously struggled to its worst season in a decade. Our baseball team had not been its usual dominant self over the past couple of seasons, settling into “good” status instead of “great.” Our basketball team, quite frankly, was not worth talking about.

Now let’s return to the present day.

Our basketball team just took one of the top eight teams in the country to the brink of overtime in a second round NCAA tournament game. That’s correct – our basketball team was playing in the second round of a tournament. In March. And it wasn’t the NIT.

Next season, the team returns almost its entire core, losing the replaceable Anthony King and Ray Hicks. Jack McClinton, probably the best player this program has had in 30 years, should contend for every national award next season. Head coach Frank Haith’s team is expected to make the Big Dance and contend for an ACC title, and not feel lucky to do either.

Our football team just held its spring game, and young players were all over the place making things happen. Quarterback Robert Marve is emerging as a leader in just his second year on campus, and running backs Javarris James and Graig Cooper look ready to put this team on their shoulders and carry it back to respectability. Head coach Randy Shannon’s team actually looks like it is going somewhere.

In the fall, more than 20 recruits who didn’t enroll early will arrive and set their sights on an ACC title.

This time next year, fans might be talking about a BCS bowl bid as opposed to a winning season when it comes to setting goals.

The baseball team is currently sitting pretty at 23-2, including 9-1 in conference. They are in sole possession of first place in their division, which happens to be in the best college baseball conference in America. The best hitter in the country, Yonder Alonso, sits in the middle of the lineup. One of the top pitchers in the nation, Eric Erickson, is the ace of the rotation. And Jim Morris is the manager. To say the least, this team has very realistic title hopes (provided the bullpen continues to develop).

Realistic hope is a great thing to have. As a Canes fan, it is time to take a page out of these athletes’ books and have some swagger. Haith, Shannon and Morris have their respective ships headed in the right direction. McClinton, James and Alonso are performing at levels their predecessors would approve of. Bright days are ahead.

It’s a great time to be a Hurricane.

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...