Coming together at 60: U.S.-Israeli Relations

As I looked at the students and faculty in the LC hailing from 35 student organizations and departments, I felt a remarkable bond between us. Our differences were many but last Tuesday we joined to celebrate 60 years of the U.S.-Israeli relationship.

Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, who addressed the audience, has tirelessly worked to strengthen this unique American-Israeli relationship since her election to Congress in 1989. It was clear that Ros-Lehtinen genuinely cared about having this conversation. She highlighted how America and Israel share values of democracy and freedom and are strategically allied against terrorism. Ros-Lehtinen praised ShalomUM, the UM’s pro-Israel student organization, for helping Florida become the first state to divest state pension funds from Iran and Sudan.

When I first became involved in ShalomUM, I couldn’t have imagined we would inspire such solidarity among so many different students. As I presented Ros-Lehtinen with a letter thanking her for her actions supporting the American-Israeli relationship, a vision of unity, of shalom, gripped my heart and will not let go.

– Lila Chertman, Senior, Treasurer of ShalomUM

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...