Canes looking confident as they cruise past FAU

The No. 2-ranked Miami Hurricanes won their ninth straight game in dramatic fashion after overcoming a four-run first inning deficit to defeat Florida Atlantic University, 16-7.

The bottom half of the Hurricanes’ lineup continues to have success as junior left fielder Dave DiNatale and sophomore shortstop Ryan Jackson combined for eight RBIs.

“The biggest thing was DiNatale tonight, he was the player of the game,” head coach Jim Morris said. “And of course Jackson has been solid all year. He’s doing a great job hitting in the six or seven spot of the batting order.”

With such a commanding win, the Hurricanes (22-2) continue to demonstrate that they have one of the most potent lineups in college baseball.

“We’re playing with a lot of confidence right now,” said DiNatale, who had a career-high four hits. “Every guy goes up there knowing he can get the job done. It’s hard to beat.”

The Canes were able to cut the lead to one after a three-run bottom of the first and continued to use their offensive dominance to overwhelm the Owls (16-10). Miami had 16 hits in the game giving them double-digit hits in 16 of their last 17 outings.

“I think our offense is one of the top in the country,” DiNatale said. “Our bullpen is great and our pitching is doing really well.”

In the fourth inning, DiNatale hit a huge two-run homerun that cleared the left field scoreboard, giving the Hurricanes their first lead of the game, 5-4. DiNatale, who had five RBIs, finished one triple short of the cycle, going 4-for-5 with a home run, two doubles and a single.

Second baseman Jemile Weeks and center fielder Blake Tekotte both finished with two hits and extended their individual hitting streaks to 11 games.

“We’ve got a lot of guys in our lineup who feel like if they don’t do it, somebody else is going to do it,” Morris said. “They’re very confident, just like any team who is 22-2.”

While Miami’s offense carried the team to victory, it was their defense and pitching staff that held on to the lead. Florida Atlantic’s leading hitter, right fielder Mike McKenna, went 1-for-3 on the night with zero RBIs. McKenna is one of the best hitters in the country with 13 home runs and 46 RBIs on the season.

Miami looks to keep their winning streak alive when they host Clemson this weekend for an important three-game series in the ACC.

Rory Lincoln may be contacted at r.lincoln@umiami.edu.

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...