Starbucks competitor offers cheaper, charitable coffee

Students can find inexpensive, organic coffee on campus without waiting in 30-minute lines – and do some good while they’re at it.

Pura Vida, the brand of coffee served at the C-store, works with coffee-growing farmers in Costa Rica and Central America and is 100 percent charitable.

Since 1998, the company has raised more than $2.5 million for charity. The money provides clean water, latrines and clothing to local communities, funds children’s soccer teams, builds schools and buys computers for classrooms.

For the past year, the University of Miami has served Pura Vida at the C-store and at snack carts around campus, as opposed to other coffee brands to give the “smaller farm grower an opportunity,” said Mel Tenen, assistant vice president of Auxiliary Services.

The coffee is shade-grown from Central America. This means there is less clear-cutting for farming land and it protects bird habitats.

At American University in Washington, D.C., the students’ plea for Pura Vida’s charitable coffee replaced Starbucks, which is the more common coffee shop at many college campuses. Two hundred colleges in the United States have either Pura Vida stands or cafés on campus.

Although UM promotes Pura Vida, the university has an exclusive agreement with Starbucks that does not allow any other coffee shops on campus.

“We serve coffee at our carts, at the business school and the Wellness Center, so there’s only a need for one full-size coffee shop on our campus,” Tenen said.

Many students are unaware of Pura Vida’s presence on campus.

Jamie Cashorali, a freshman, said she thinks people associate the C-store with food and Starbucks with coffee.

Regarding price, the 30 cent difference for a grande cup of coffee does not deter many students.

“It’s pricey, but I do like the coffee [at Starbucks],” Brian Stafford, a sophomore, said.

UM is planning to add a second Starbucks on campus when the Student Activity Center opens in 2011.

Brook Frazier may be contacted at brook.frazier@gmail.com. Fiona Kim may be contacted at h.kim18@umiami.edu.

The C-store sells approximately 140 cups of Pura Vida coffee per week at a cost of $1.55 for a grand

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...