SPORTS BRIEFS

ROWING

Season opens at Central Florida

The Miami Hurricanes rowing team opened their 2008 season Saturday at the University of Central Florida. Miami’s Varsity Four team of Molly Thornton and Karalyn Van Aken, bow Courtney Guy, stroke Julianne Parker and coxswain Ana Cristina Mantilla beat UCF by nearly six seconds. The Knights bested Miami in both Varsity Eight races held.

The team will now travel to Michigan for a race against Indiana and Notre Dame in East Lansing before traveling to Ypsilanti to face host Eastern Michigan.

SOCCER

Schedule set for 2008

The University of Miami women’s soccer program recently announced their 2008 schedule. The Hurricanes will play a 20-game schedule that includes 12 games against teams that reached the NCAA tournament last season and eight who finished in the NCAA’s final top-25 poll. Of the 20 games, half will be non-conference, while the other half will be ACC games. The Hurricanes will open the season Aug. 22 at Stetson.

Compiled by Pravin Patel and Mathew Bunch from hurricanesports.com.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...