SPORTS BRIEFS

ROWING

Season opens at Central Florida

The Miami Hurricanes rowing team opened their 2008 season Saturday at the University of Central Florida. Miami’s Varsity Four team of Molly Thornton and Karalyn Van Aken, bow Courtney Guy, stroke Julianne Parker and coxswain Ana Cristina Mantilla beat UCF by nearly six seconds. The Knights bested Miami in both Varsity Eight races held.

The team will now travel to Michigan for a race against Indiana and Notre Dame in East Lansing before traveling to Ypsilanti to face host Eastern Michigan.

SOCCER

Schedule set for 2008

The University of Miami women’s soccer program recently announced their 2008 schedule. The Hurricanes will play a 20-game schedule that includes 12 games against teams that reached the NCAA tournament last season and eight who finished in the NCAA’s final top-25 poll. Of the 20 games, half will be non-conference, while the other half will be ACC games. The Hurricanes will open the season Aug. 22 at Stetson.

Compiled by Pravin Patel and Mathew Bunch from hurricanesports.com.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...