Events Beat

Students serve lunch to UNICCO workers

Five student helpers served approximately 15 UNICCO workers black beans and rice, pork with onions, and yucca from a local Cuban restaurant Friday afternoon as part of Hecht College Council’s “UNICCO Appreciation Lunch.” Employees chatted and enjoyed their food on the couches of Hecht’s lobby and at the tables of Hecht’s patio. “Muchas gracias,” said one employee to his servers as he departed, to which they replied, “No, thank you.”

– Stephanie Genuardi

Karate Club wins five medals at championship

Powerful punches and swift kicks flew during katas and sparring at the Wellness Center Saturday morning. The UM Karate Club hosted the annual South Atlantic Karate Championship Open Tournament, which had over six different styles of karate demonstrated by around 40 participants from all over Florida, including some from North Carolina. The UM Karate Club walked away with five medals.

– Analisa Harangozo

Iraq War talk features veteran from university

The Iraq Committee of UM Young Democrats presented an “Iraq War Teach-In” Wednesday night in the Learning Center as part of Iraq Awareness Week. The event featured four speakers: Jessica Carrillo, a current UM student who was deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan; Iraq War Veteran Mark Read; UM sociology professor and Miami for Peace activist Linda Belgrave; and Abdy Javadzadeh, a Florida International University sociology professor.

Carrillo, who has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, recalled incidences of suicide bombings and land mine explosions with teary eyes and a trembling voice. Belgrave highlighted the economic implications of the war. She also said that three million Iraqis have been killed – a number that has been disputed – and there have been more than 4,000 U.S. casualties.

The speakers’ presentations were followed by a question and answer session with the 40-member audience.

– Stephanie Genuardi

Sororities prep women for Greek life, fall rush

The University of Miami’s 13 national and international sororities set up information booths in the Wellness Center Tuesday to educate female students about joining Greek life next semester. Women in attendance learned about their options and what to expect from rush. This coming fall’s new rush will be informal and for upperclassmen only.

– Nina Ruggiero

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...