WOMEN’S DIVING: Diver wins championship

Bring out the paintbrushes.

With a score of 362.60, sophomore Brittany Viola became the third Miami women’s diver to win an NCAA Championship Saturday evening at the 2008 NCAA Division I Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships at Ohio State University’s McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion.

“I got out of the water and looked up to see my name go to the top and then looked at coach and my family,” Viola said. “Getting the title was huge and just great because I worked so hard this year. I put my heart into it and had a goal in mind since September.”

In accordance with Hurricanes tradition, Viola’s face will be painted on the wall of the UC’s pool deck. Her image will join those of divers like Wendy Williams and Greg Louganis.

Her winning score was the highest since 2005 when Indiana’s Cassandra Cardinell received a mark of 501.45.

After a seventh place finish in the one-meter finals Thursday and 37th in the three-meter finals Friday, which caused her to miss the cut in the event, Viola set her sights on her strongest event: the 10-meter platform.

Viola finished 15.40 points better than Stanford freshman Margaret Hostage, who saved her best dive, an 81.60, for last, though it wasn’t enough and brought her total count to 347.20. Hostage never scored below a 60 on any of her dives.

Opening the finals with a 63, Viola came back to score an 86.40, the highest of the night, and 81.60 in successive dives. Her fourth dive – her lowest at 58 – didn’t stop her as she ended with a solid 73.60 to secure the title. Viola came in first in the preliminary round as well.

She first earned All-American status last year as a freshman with her sixth place finish at the 2007 platform finals and she earned it again Thursday by placing seventh in the one-meter springboard.

On Monday it was announced that Viola earned NCAA Diver of the Year honors along with Ohio State junior Chelsea Davis and Hawaii sophomore Emma Friesen.

Viola’s victory gives Miami its 25th diving title in the school’s history. The last female championship came in 2000, when Jenny Keim won in the same event. Keim also won the three-meter springboard title in 1999. Olympic medalist Wendy Williams’ victory in the 1999 platform event was the first of now four championships on the women’s side.

“We were both ecstatic because it was one of our goals,” head coach Randy Ableman said. “She works so hard. In my mind she’s the best girl in the country at the 10-meter platform and she came through in the clutch. She did everything right.”

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...