Sports Briefs

Baseball
Hurricanes climb up the polls

The University of Miami baseball team continues to rise up the polls. The Canes moved up to No. 2 in the latest National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association poll, and they are ranked No. 3 in the recent USA Today/ESPN Top 25 poll. The Canes are ranked No. 2 in the Rivals.com poll, No. 4 in the Baseball America poll and No. 6 in the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper poll.

Muscle Milk Honors
McClinton and Viola earn honors

UM men’s basketball star guard Jack McClinton earned Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week honors for his performances at the NCAA tournament this weekend. McClinton scored 38 points as he helped the Canes overcome St. Mary’s in the first round. In the second round, he had 18 points in the close loss to powerhouse Texas.

On the women’s side, the honor was taken by sophomore diver Brittany Viola. She won the 10-meter platform event at the 2008 NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. Viola was the third female Cane to win an NCAA championship.

Men’s Tennis
Former men’s tennis coach selected to guide U.S. Olympic squad

Former UM men’s tennis coach Rodney Harmon has been selected to coach the United States men’s tennis team at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
Harmon will replace Patrick McEnroe at the helm, looking to continue U.S. dominance of the sport at the Olympic level since its return as a medal sport in 1988. The U.S. has won 15 gold medals in men’s and women’s tennis since that time, more than any other nation.
Harmon served as Miami’s coach from 1996-97, guiding the team to a 22-23 record. In his final year, Harmon led the Canes to a Big East title and to the second round of the NCAA tournament, earning him Big East Coach of the Year honors.

Football
Spring Game, Canefest this Saturday

Hurricanes football will return to South Florida this weekend as the team will host its annual spring game in Ft. Lauderdale.
Traditionally hosted at the Orange Bowl, the game will now take place at Lockhart Stadium in Broward County. Gates will open at 9 a.m., when fans can get autographs from team members. The game itself will kick off at 10 a.m. Parking and admission are free for the event.

Information compiled by Pravin Patel and Matthew Bunch from hurricanesports.com.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...