Sports Briefs

Baseball
Hurricanes climb up the polls

The University of Miami baseball team continues to rise up the polls. The Canes moved up to No. 2 in the latest National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association poll, and they are ranked No. 3 in the recent USA Today/ESPN Top 25 poll. The Canes are ranked No. 2 in the Rivals.com poll, No. 4 in the Baseball America poll and No. 6 in the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper poll.

Muscle Milk Honors
McClinton and Viola earn honors

UM men’s basketball star guard Jack McClinton earned Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week honors for his performances at the NCAA tournament this weekend. McClinton scored 38 points as he helped the Canes overcome St. Mary’s in the first round. In the second round, he had 18 points in the close loss to powerhouse Texas.

On the women’s side, the honor was taken by sophomore diver Brittany Viola. She won the 10-meter platform event at the 2008 NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. Viola was the third female Cane to win an NCAA championship.

Men’s Tennis
Former men’s tennis coach selected to guide U.S. Olympic squad

Former UM men’s tennis coach Rodney Harmon has been selected to coach the United States men’s tennis team at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
Harmon will replace Patrick McEnroe at the helm, looking to continue U.S. dominance of the sport at the Olympic level since its return as a medal sport in 1988. The U.S. has won 15 gold medals in men’s and women’s tennis since that time, more than any other nation.
Harmon served as Miami’s coach from 1996-97, guiding the team to a 22-23 record. In his final year, Harmon led the Canes to a Big East title and to the second round of the NCAA tournament, earning him Big East Coach of the Year honors.

Football
Spring Game, Canefest this Saturday

Hurricanes football will return to South Florida this weekend as the team will host its annual spring game in Ft. Lauderdale.
Traditionally hosted at the Orange Bowl, the game will now take place at Lockhart Stadium in Broward County. Gates will open at 9 a.m., when fans can get autographs from team members. The game itself will kick off at 10 a.m. Parking and admission are free for the event.

Information compiled by Pravin Patel and Matthew Bunch from hurricanesports.com.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...