Sports Briefs

Baseball
Hurricanes climb up the polls

The University of Miami baseball team continues to rise up the polls. The Canes moved up to No. 2 in the latest National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association poll, and they are ranked No. 3 in the recent USA Today/ESPN Top 25 poll. The Canes are ranked No. 2 in the Rivals.com poll, No. 4 in the Baseball America poll and No. 6 in the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper poll.

Muscle Milk Honors
McClinton and Viola earn honors

UM men’s basketball star guard Jack McClinton earned Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week honors for his performances at the NCAA tournament this weekend. McClinton scored 38 points as he helped the Canes overcome St. Mary’s in the first round. In the second round, he had 18 points in the close loss to powerhouse Texas.

On the women’s side, the honor was taken by sophomore diver Brittany Viola. She won the 10-meter platform event at the 2008 NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. Viola was the third female Cane to win an NCAA championship.

Men’s Tennis
Former men’s tennis coach selected to guide U.S. Olympic squad

Former UM men’s tennis coach Rodney Harmon has been selected to coach the United States men’s tennis team at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
Harmon will replace Patrick McEnroe at the helm, looking to continue U.S. dominance of the sport at the Olympic level since its return as a medal sport in 1988. The U.S. has won 15 gold medals in men’s and women’s tennis since that time, more than any other nation.
Harmon served as Miami’s coach from 1996-97, guiding the team to a 22-23 record. In his final year, Harmon led the Canes to a Big East title and to the second round of the NCAA tournament, earning him Big East Coach of the Year honors.

Football
Spring Game, Canefest this Saturday

Hurricanes football will return to South Florida this weekend as the team will host its annual spring game in Ft. Lauderdale.
Traditionally hosted at the Orange Bowl, the game will now take place at Lockhart Stadium in Broward County. Gates will open at 9 a.m., when fans can get autographs from team members. The game itself will kick off at 10 a.m. Parking and admission are free for the event.

Information compiled by Pravin Patel and Matthew Bunch from hurricanesports.com.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...