MedSchool Briefs

Senior Miller medical students matched with top programs

Beneath a tent on the Schoninger Quadrangle at the University of Miami’s Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine, senior medical students tore open sealed letters last Thursday that revealed where they would begin their careers after graduation.

The annual event called Match Day, highly anticipated by medical students across the U.S., determines where students will begin their residency training based on results from the National Residency Matching Program.

The students applied for residency programs during the fall of their senior year and were matched at some of the most competitive programs for specialties, including orthopedic surgery, dermatology, otolaryngology, diagnostic radiology, urology and general surgery.

The Miller School’s Match Day included 150 students, their friends and families and faculty members.

– Chelsea Kate Isaacs

Cardiac surgeon receives international research award

Cardiac surgeon and “Oprah” regular Dr. Mehmet Oz was presented the Lois Pope LIFE International Research Award at the Miller School last Tuesday. The award was accompanied by a $100,000 grant to help HealthCorps, a program Oz founded to combat teenage obesity.

– Ashleyann Gosselin

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...