MedSchool Briefs

Senior Miller medical students matched with top programs

Beneath a tent on the Schoninger Quadrangle at the University of Miami’s Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine, senior medical students tore open sealed letters last Thursday that revealed where they would begin their careers after graduation.

The annual event called Match Day, highly anticipated by medical students across the U.S., determines where students will begin their residency training based on results from the National Residency Matching Program.

The students applied for residency programs during the fall of their senior year and were matched at some of the most competitive programs for specialties, including orthopedic surgery, dermatology, otolaryngology, diagnostic radiology, urology and general surgery.

The Miller School’s Match Day included 150 students, their friends and families and faculty members.

– Chelsea Kate Isaacs

Cardiac surgeon receives international research award

Cardiac surgeon and “Oprah” regular Dr. Mehmet Oz was presented the Lois Pope LIFE International Research Award at the Miller School last Tuesday. The award was accompanied by a $100,000 grant to help HealthCorps, a program Oz founded to combat teenage obesity.

– Ashleyann Gosselin

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...