MedSchool Briefs

Senior Miller medical students matched with top programs

Beneath a tent on the Schoninger Quadrangle at the University of Miami’s Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine, senior medical students tore open sealed letters last Thursday that revealed where they would begin their careers after graduation.

The annual event called Match Day, highly anticipated by medical students across the U.S., determines where students will begin their residency training based on results from the National Residency Matching Program.

The students applied for residency programs during the fall of their senior year and were matched at some of the most competitive programs for specialties, including orthopedic surgery, dermatology, otolaryngology, diagnostic radiology, urology and general surgery.

The Miller School’s Match Day included 150 students, their friends and families and faculty members.

– Chelsea Kate Isaacs

Cardiac surgeon receives international research award

Cardiac surgeon and “Oprah” regular Dr. Mehmet Oz was presented the Lois Pope LIFE International Research Award at the Miller School last Tuesday. The award was accompanied by a $100,000 grant to help HealthCorps, a program Oz founded to combat teenage obesity.

– Ashleyann Gosselin

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...