MedSchool Briefs

Senior Miller medical students matched with top programs

Beneath a tent on the Schoninger Quadrangle at the University of Miami’s Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine, senior medical students tore open sealed letters last Thursday that revealed where they would begin their careers after graduation.

The annual event called Match Day, highly anticipated by medical students across the U.S., determines where students will begin their residency training based on results from the National Residency Matching Program.

The students applied for residency programs during the fall of their senior year and were matched at some of the most competitive programs for specialties, including orthopedic surgery, dermatology, otolaryngology, diagnostic radiology, urology and general surgery.

The Miller School’s Match Day included 150 students, their friends and families and faculty members.

– Chelsea Kate Isaacs

Cardiac surgeon receives international research award

Cardiac surgeon and “Oprah” regular Dr. Mehmet Oz was presented the Lois Pope LIFE International Research Award at the Miller School last Tuesday. The award was accompanied by a $100,000 grant to help HealthCorps, a program Oz founded to combat teenage obesity.

– Ashleyann Gosselin

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...