BASEBALL: Team sweeps midweek series

The No. 2-ranked Miami Hurricanes baseball team rallied in dramatic fashion Wednesday to sweep a two-game series with Bethune-Cookman University, marking the Hurricanes sixth straight victory.

Miami (19-2) put together a two-out rally in the eighth inning for a come-from-behind 7-6 win over the Wildcats (14-7).

Miami trailed 6-4 entering the eighth, but received clutch hitting from the bottom of the lineup. With runners on second and third, outfielder Dave Dinatale hit a pinch-hit, two-run single to centerfield to tie the score. Catcher Yasmani Grandal followed up with a game-winning single to right field to plate Dinatatle.

Grandal also made the winning plays defensively, throwing out a runner at second base to end the game. Closer Carlos Gutierrez picked up his fifth save of the season.

“That’s a big win for us,” head coach Jim Morris said. “It’s great for our team to be able to go through a game and fight like that. I am very excited and that builds character right there to know we can come back. That’s going to help you later.”

Bethune-Cookman had a three-run fourth inning to chase starter David Gutierrez from the game. Gutierrez pitched three innings, allowing four runs on five hits. The Hurricanes committed three errors, but showed why they’re the No. 2-team in the country according to the National College Baseball Writers of America’s most recent poll.

“That’s what championship teams do to come back and get it done when it counts,” Dinatale said. “It’s a big win for our team and we will build off this.”

Miami’s offense has hit its stride as of late, scoring 10 or more runs in six straight games, setting a new school record. The streak was snapped Wednesday.

The improvements made offensively by shortstop Ryan Jackson and catcher Jason Hagerty from last season have increased the lineup’s output.

Jackson went 4-for-4 with 4 RBI, including his second home run of the season.

“It’s always good to get off to a good start at the plate and it’s even better that we’re winning,” Jackson said. “Last year, we had some bumps on the road. We’re hungry and ready to get back to Omaha.”

Hagerty’s solo home run gave the Hurricanes a 5-4 lead and he drove in three runs for the game. Hagerty’s power has come as a surprise after not hitting the long ball once last season. His six home runs are tied with Jemile Weeks for the team-lead.

“I feel comfortable, relaxed and I’m just playing my game,” Hagerty said. “I’m glad to be helping the team.”

Bethune-Cookman trailed 4-0 in the second but rallied against starter J.J. Housey to tie the game. The Wildcats fell behind again 6-4, but threatened by loading the bases in the seventh. Reliever Kyle Bellamy came to the rescue with two consecutive strikeouts to preserve the lead.

Housey earned his second win on the season by tossing 5 1/3 innings and battled back after a shaky second inning.

The Hurricanes look to carry the momentum against Duke this weekend in a three-game series.

Alex Kushel may be contacted at a.kushel@umiami.edu.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...