WOMEN’S DIVING: Viola wins national championship

Sophomore All-American Brittany Viola won the NCAA championship in platform diving Saturday, becoming just the third female in the school’s history to win a NCAA title.

Her score of 362.60 was the highest at the NCAA championship since 2005. Her closest competition, Margaret Hostage of Stanford, came in at 347.20.

“I’m so proud of Brittany for the way she performed tonight,” head diving coach Randy Ableman said. “I could see it in her eye that she wanted this title and she was determined to go out there and get it. She has worked so hard to get to this point, it was just so gratifying to see it all pay off for her.”

Viola’s championship gives UM a total of 25 diving titles between the men and women.

For more on this breaking story, stay with www.TheMiamiHurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...