WOMEN’S DIVING: Viola wins national championship

Sophomore All-American Brittany Viola won the NCAA championship in platform diving Saturday, becoming just the third female in the school’s history to win a NCAA title.

Her score of 362.60 was the highest at the NCAA championship since 2005. Her closest competition, Margaret Hostage of Stanford, came in at 347.20.

“I’m so proud of Brittany for the way she performed tonight,” head diving coach Randy Ableman said. “I could see it in her eye that she wanted this title and she was determined to go out there and get it. She has worked so hard to get to this point, it was just so gratifying to see it all pay off for her.”

Viola’s championship gives UM a total of 25 diving titles between the men and women.

For more on this breaking story, stay with www.TheMiamiHurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...