WOMEN’S DIVING: Viola wins national championship

Sophomore All-American Brittany Viola won the NCAA championship in platform diving Saturday, becoming just the third female in the school’s history to win a NCAA title.

Her score of 362.60 was the highest at the NCAA championship since 2005. Her closest competition, Margaret Hostage of Stanford, came in at 347.20.

“I’m so proud of Brittany for the way she performed tonight,” head diving coach Randy Ableman said. “I could see it in her eye that she wanted this title and she was determined to go out there and get it. She has worked so hard to get to this point, it was just so gratifying to see it all pay off for her.”

Viola’s championship gives UM a total of 25 diving titles between the men and women.

For more on this breaking story, stay with www.TheMiamiHurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...