‘Ugly win’ over Cornell propels team to 14-2 on season

The Miami Hurricanes baseball team exploded offensively in a 20-9 rout over Cornell Tuesday to improve their record to 14-2 on the season.

Sophomore third baseman Mark Sobolewski had a career night, going 6-for-6 at the plate while driving in five runs. Sobolewski’s six-hit performance tied a school record held by former Canes Mike Fiore and Kevin Howard.

“You obviously can’t plan on having a day like that,” Sobolewski said. “I was struggling a week ago at this time. I was having better at-bats and tonight I guess it all came together. It’s a result of the last week or two getting in extra work and feeling better.”

Junior right-hander Jason Santana struggled for the first time this season and lasted only two innings after giving up four runs. Santana was 3-0 with a 1.02 ERA entering the game.

Miami’s bullpen did not fare better in the fifth inning, surrendering six runs in the fifth inning, cutting Miami’s lead to 11-9.

Sophomore right-hander David Gutierrez stopped any momentum Cornell had going by throwing three scoreless innings in relief. The Hurricanes lineup scored nine unanswered runs to put the game out of reach.

“That was an ugly win,” head coach Jim Morris said. “But we won the game. We’ve got to pitch better. They scored too many runs off our pitchers. That’s the bottom line.”

The Hurricanes bounced back from a heartbreaking loss on Sunday to North Carolina State, 11-10. Miami led by two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning before closer Carlos Gutierrez surrendered a three-run home run. The game was called after the at-bat because of a curfew rule initiated before the start of the game.

The Hurricanes won the series thanks to strong starting pitching from starters Eric Erickson and Chris Hernandez.

Erickson won his fourth straight game to open the season by limiting the Wolfpack to just one run over six innings. After the Wolfpack got within three runs after a four-run seventh, sophomore righthander Kyle Bellamy shut the door by recording the final seven outs.

Second baseman Jemile Weeks went 4-for-5 with 4 RBI in the victory.

Miami held on to a 2-1 win on Saturday to take the series. Hernandez tossed 7 1/3 innings and struck out five batters to improve his record to 3-0. Gutierrez closed the game and recorded his fourth save.

Miami would like to see improvement from the backend of the rotation and middle relief, which took a step backward the past two games. Senior right-hander Enrique Garcia remains winless and had a rough outing Sunday.

With the Tuesday victory, the Hurricanes are off to their best start under Morris since 1995.

Alex Kushel may be contacted at a.kushel@umiami.edu.

Miami makes new winning streak

Powerful offense and much-improved pitching led Miami to another mid-week victory, topping the New Jersey Institute of Technology, 13-1.

Perhaps best known for their winless basketball team, NJIT didn’t fare much better on the diamond against the Canes. John Housey earned his first decision of the year, after pitching six innings, allowing five hits and one run.

The double-digit scoring was evenly distributive, with no Miami player accumulating more than two RBI’s. Freshman Joey Terdoslavich led the Canes in hits with three.

-Matthew Bunch

In the story which ran in the print version of The Miami Hurricane, the final score of the Miami/NJIT game was said to be 10-1. It was in fact 13-1. The Miami Hurricane apologizes for the error.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...