‘Ugly win’ over Cornell propels team to 14-2 on season

The Miami Hurricanes baseball team exploded offensively in a 20-9 rout over Cornell Tuesday to improve their record to 14-2 on the season.

Sophomore third baseman Mark Sobolewski had a career night, going 6-for-6 at the plate while driving in five runs. Sobolewski’s six-hit performance tied a school record held by former Canes Mike Fiore and Kevin Howard.

“You obviously can’t plan on having a day like that,” Sobolewski said. “I was struggling a week ago at this time. I was having better at-bats and tonight I guess it all came together. It’s a result of the last week or two getting in extra work and feeling better.”

Junior right-hander Jason Santana struggled for the first time this season and lasted only two innings after giving up four runs. Santana was 3-0 with a 1.02 ERA entering the game.

Miami’s bullpen did not fare better in the fifth inning, surrendering six runs in the fifth inning, cutting Miami’s lead to 11-9.

Sophomore right-hander David Gutierrez stopped any momentum Cornell had going by throwing three scoreless innings in relief. The Hurricanes lineup scored nine unanswered runs to put the game out of reach.

“That was an ugly win,” head coach Jim Morris said. “But we won the game. We’ve got to pitch better. They scored too many runs off our pitchers. That’s the bottom line.”

The Hurricanes bounced back from a heartbreaking loss on Sunday to North Carolina State, 11-10. Miami led by two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning before closer Carlos Gutierrez surrendered a three-run home run. The game was called after the at-bat because of a curfew rule initiated before the start of the game.

The Hurricanes won the series thanks to strong starting pitching from starters Eric Erickson and Chris Hernandez.

Erickson won his fourth straight game to open the season by limiting the Wolfpack to just one run over six innings. After the Wolfpack got within three runs after a four-run seventh, sophomore righthander Kyle Bellamy shut the door by recording the final seven outs.

Second baseman Jemile Weeks went 4-for-5 with 4 RBI in the victory.

Miami held on to a 2-1 win on Saturday to take the series. Hernandez tossed 7 1/3 innings and struck out five batters to improve his record to 3-0. Gutierrez closed the game and recorded his fourth save.

Miami would like to see improvement from the backend of the rotation and middle relief, which took a step backward the past two games. Senior right-hander Enrique Garcia remains winless and had a rough outing Sunday.

With the Tuesday victory, the Hurricanes are off to their best start under Morris since 1995.

Alex Kushel may be contacted at a.kushel@umiami.edu.

Miami makes new winning streak

Powerful offense and much-improved pitching led Miami to another mid-week victory, topping the New Jersey Institute of Technology, 13-1.

Perhaps best known for their winless basketball team, NJIT didn’t fare much better on the diamond against the Canes. John Housey earned his first decision of the year, after pitching six innings, allowing five hits and one run.

The double-digit scoring was evenly distributive, with no Miami player accumulating more than two RBI’s. Freshman Joey Terdoslavich led the Canes in hits with three.

-Matthew Bunch

In the story which ran in the print version of The Miami Hurricane, the final score of the Miami/NJIT game was said to be 10-1. It was in fact 13-1. The Miami Hurricane apologizes for the error.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...