Red Road Commons set to offer affordable options for UM students

SEE MAP BELOW ARTICLE

University of Miami students can look forward to an affordable off-campus housing option for the start of the 2009-10 school year.

The Red Road Commons will be located on 6600 SW 57th Avenue and will offer 405 1-, 2- and 3-bedroom apartments, as well as 12,000 square feet of retail space.

The complex is also planned to have a pool, on-site parking, a state-of-the-art fitness facility and a cyber café.

“While the project will be open to the general market, it is expected that the University of Miami community will be the main market driver, given the project’s proximity and easy access to the Coral Gables campus,” said Patrick Burbank, the assistant vice president for Miami Asset Management Company, a subsidiary of the university that also worked on other housing projects such as Four Fillies Farm, a university housing community for full-time faculty.

The project, which began construction last December, is being developed by Wood Partners, one of the largest multifamily developers in the country. Wood Partners won the land through a bidding war after the University of Miami placed the land on the housing market.

Plans call for all of the units in the complex to be market priced for South Miami, which is relatively cheaper than Coral Gables.

This close proximity and relative affordability may prove to be a solid alternative to on-campus apartments and University Village for housing options.

The Red Road Commons apartments will offer 12-month leases much like University Village, and the developers vow to work with the university as much as possible to create a comfortable environment for residents and students.

“We will be working directly with the UM housing office to accommodate the needs of the UM population in any way we can,” said Jay Jacobson, who spoke on behalf of Wood Partners.

The news of new housing comes at the same time that the university is looking to change on-campus housing.

The new housing plan, promoted by Student Affairs and the office of the provost, will push for all incoming freshmen to live on campus in order to create a more residential college feel. Housing sign-up plans were changed earlier this semester to accommodate such a plan, but after the student body voiced its displeasure the changes were canceled.

The addition of the Red Road Commons project would free up more space on campus, keeping with the provost’s vision.

University officials declined comment on the topic, making it clear that UM is not developing the project. However, the university is expecting a large number of students to take up residence in the new complex.

“We made arrangements with the university for them to run the university shuttle to the property,” Jacobson said. “If a student lives there, they just have to hop on the bus and not worrying about parking.”

Christa Ruggiero may be contacted at c.ruggiero@umiami.edu.

Red Road Commons:

Location: 6600 SW 57th Avenue

Apartment Styles: 1-, 2- and 3-bedroom units

Cost: Rent will range, depending on the unit, from $1,100 per month to $2,800 per month.

Complex Amenities: Pool, fitness facility, cyber cafe, small study areas with Interent access, two parking garages, Hurry Cane shuttle stop

View Larger Map

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...