Real-world hypotheticals 101

I’d like to pose a hypothetical situation. It is something that any of us graduating seniors could experience at our future places of employment and, when the times comes, we may not know how to deal with it. Of course, we all know what we would ideally like to do, but each of our personal situations (for example, finances) may get in the way of our ethical decision-making process.

Sally Sue, a recent college grad, works full-time for company XYZ. Prior to applying, she did her research like Toppel told her to and found nothing negative about the company or its policies. After applying and accepting a position with company XYZ, Sally Sue finds out the company is indirectly contributing to events with which she strongly disagrees. Little did company XYZ know, but Sally Sue is a huge hippie that likes to go on marches and participate in sit-ins and stuff.

A petition starts circulating around the Internet to stop company XYZ’s practices and Sally Sue would like to sign, but the petition requires her to enter her full name and address and will be sent directly to the CEO of XYZ. Does Sally Sue stick it to the man and sign the petition while risking the loss of her job, or does she go back to work on Monday and ignore the entire situation?

I’d like to extend a plea to Toppel since its programs have molded me into an interviewing machine: Please tell us all what to do. Eventually this may happen, unfortunately, because many big companies forget about us little people down here in Normalcy Land, trying to put food on the table and a roof over our heads. Do we stand up for our beliefs and values or ignore our guts for the sake of our jobs? Will we still feel warm and gooey inside for supporting a cause while we stand in the unemployment line? How do we deal with conflicting personal and company values, especially if problems arise after we accept a job offer?

Ashley Davidson is a senior majoring in journalism and studio art. She may be contacted at a.davidson2@umiami.edu.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...