(MIS)DIAGNOSIS: Health Center

So you’re pregnant.or at least the Health Center says you are. They also said you had mono. And HIV. Tough week.

OK, so the Student Health Center may not always give people great advice or the right diagnosis, but it is there for you Monday through Friday – condom bowls and all. The doctors see people during lunch hours, take appointments and prescribe medications that are conveniently available in the pharmacy upstairs.

Plus, most people do not have to wait at the Health Center for more than an hour, which is pretty standard wait time for a doctor’s office.

Still, there are some flaws that need to be addressed. First, regardless of the fact that the weekend should be sunshine and beaches for Miami students, people do get sick on Saturdays and Sundays. Maybe the Health Center should add weekend hours in order to diminish the traffic on Mondays, which Health Center representatives said was the most crowded day.

As for reported problems, there are two sides. First, some times the Health Center does mess up. But, guess what? So do physicians everywhere. It’s not realistic to think that there will never be mistakes, but it’s not wrong to want perfection – as the health staff surely does, as well.

On the other hand, the problem may occur because students are not active in the process. Ask the doctor questions. Speak up about allergies and relevant medical history.

While there may be problems, a Health Center that is imperfect – as all are – is better than no Health Center at all.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...