(MIS)DIAGNOSIS: Health Center

So you’re pregnant.or at least the Health Center says you are. They also said you had mono. And HIV. Tough week.

OK, so the Student Health Center may not always give people great advice or the right diagnosis, but it is there for you Monday through Friday – condom bowls and all. The doctors see people during lunch hours, take appointments and prescribe medications that are conveniently available in the pharmacy upstairs.

Plus, most people do not have to wait at the Health Center for more than an hour, which is pretty standard wait time for a doctor’s office.

Still, there are some flaws that need to be addressed. First, regardless of the fact that the weekend should be sunshine and beaches for Miami students, people do get sick on Saturdays and Sundays. Maybe the Health Center should add weekend hours in order to diminish the traffic on Mondays, which Health Center representatives said was the most crowded day.

As for reported problems, there are two sides. First, some times the Health Center does mess up. But, guess what? So do physicians everywhere. It’s not realistic to think that there will never be mistakes, but it’s not wrong to want perfection – as the health staff surely does, as well.

On the other hand, the problem may occur because students are not active in the process. Ask the doctor questions. Speak up about allergies and relevant medical history.

While there may be problems, a Health Center that is imperfect – as all are – is better than no Health Center at all.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...