MEN’S TENNIS: Seminoles earn 5-2 victory

The University of Miami men’s tennis team had trouble finding momentum Saturday, as they were outdueled by the Florida State Seminoles, 5-2.

“It was a great college match, and the support from the crowd – especially the Greater Miami Tennis Educational Foundation and the USTA kids – was tremendous,” head coach Mario Rincon said. “I’m very happy to see that Miami tennis is growing.”

The No. 18 Hurricanes (9-3, 2-1 ACC) put together admirable individual performances, but they were unable to outlast the No. 17 Seminoles (11-2, 2-0 ACC).

No. 3 Daniel Vallverdu defeated No. 24 Jean-Yves Aubone in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. The Canes also picked up a point from Keith Crowley, who put up a great fight after dropping the first set 1-6. Crowley came back to win the second and third sets 7-6, 6-1.

Unfortunately, that was all the Canes could muster against a strong Seminole squad, as they lost the other four singles points and the doubles point. No. 101 David Rosenfeld was dropped by No. 91 Clint Bowles in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. After putting up a strong fight, Vivek Subramanian also tasted defeat, 7-5, 3-6, 6-4.

Meanwhile, Carl Sundberg was within reach of grabbing a win until Maciek Sykut put the brakes on, 0-6, 7-6, 6-1. J.C. Whitner also put up a fight, but he too could not quite pull it off, losing 7-5, 4-6, 6-4.

On the doubles front, the No. 15 pair of Vallverdu and Sundberg could not get things going, as they lost to No. 30 Aubone and Bowles 8-3. The Canes did get a win from No. 39 Rosenfeld and Subramanian, but the win proved fruitless, as Crowley and Whitner had already fallen 8-6.

“FSU played a great match today,” Rincon said. “We had some opportunities today, but we didn’t take advantage of them.”

The loss snapped the five-match win streak the Hurricanes were on, and it gave the Canes their first loss in Atlantic Coast Conference play this season.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...