MEN’S TENNIS: Seminoles earn 5-2 victory

The University of Miami men’s tennis team had trouble finding momentum Saturday, as they were outdueled by the Florida State Seminoles, 5-2.

“It was a great college match, and the support from the crowd – especially the Greater Miami Tennis Educational Foundation and the USTA kids – was tremendous,” head coach Mario Rincon said. “I’m very happy to see that Miami tennis is growing.”

The No. 18 Hurricanes (9-3, 2-1 ACC) put together admirable individual performances, but they were unable to outlast the No. 17 Seminoles (11-2, 2-0 ACC).

No. 3 Daniel Vallverdu defeated No. 24 Jean-Yves Aubone in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. The Canes also picked up a point from Keith Crowley, who put up a great fight after dropping the first set 1-6. Crowley came back to win the second and third sets 7-6, 6-1.

Unfortunately, that was all the Canes could muster against a strong Seminole squad, as they lost the other four singles points and the doubles point. No. 101 David Rosenfeld was dropped by No. 91 Clint Bowles in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. After putting up a strong fight, Vivek Subramanian also tasted defeat, 7-5, 3-6, 6-4.

Meanwhile, Carl Sundberg was within reach of grabbing a win until Maciek Sykut put the brakes on, 0-6, 7-6, 6-1. J.C. Whitner also put up a fight, but he too could not quite pull it off, losing 7-5, 4-6, 6-4.

On the doubles front, the No. 15 pair of Vallverdu and Sundberg could not get things going, as they lost to No. 30 Aubone and Bowles 8-3. The Canes did get a win from No. 39 Rosenfeld and Subramanian, but the win proved fruitless, as Crowley and Whitner had already fallen 8-6.

“FSU played a great match today,” Rincon said. “We had some opportunities today, but we didn’t take advantage of them.”

The loss snapped the five-match win streak the Hurricanes were on, and it gave the Canes their first loss in Atlantic Coast Conference play this season.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.