MEN’S BASKETBALL: Miami tops St. Mary’s, 78-64, advances in NCAA tournament

To see more of Miami’s trip to March Madness, go to “Corey’s Stories: Dispatches from the NCAA tournament” at blogs.themiamihurricane.com.

NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – The University of Miami men’s basketball team advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament Friday, beating Saint Mary’s 78-64.

Junior guard Jack McClinton scored a career-high 38 points, fueling the Canes to a 25-5 second-half run in the Hurricanes’ first NCAA Tournament game in six years, despite not practicing until Thursday because of a fever.

“It’s the best game I’ve seen him play,” head coach Frank Haith said. “I can’t imagine him having a better performance than he did today.”

Haith said McClinton, Jimmy Graham and James Dews were treated by the medical staff for fevers throughout the week and missed practice. Graham added seven points and nine rebounds off the bench.

“It’s been a rough week for me,” Graham said. “Monday and Tuesday I was bed-ridden, no class, no practice, so I’m feeling a lot better than I was.”

Patty Mills, a freshman from Canberra, Australia, led the Gaels with 24 points. The crowd chimed in with chants of “Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oy, oy, oy” several times in the first half but were mostly quiet in the second as he went 4-of-14 as part of the Gaels’ 34 percent second-half field-goal shooting.

“He’s as good a point guard we played all year,” Haith said.

A rebounding edge of 14 and McClinton’s 32 second-half points helped the Hurricanes outscore the Gaels 51-32 in the final 20 minutes. McClinton scored ten straight points early in the half to help the Canes erase a 32-27 halftime deficit, finishing 12-of-19 from the field and 11-of-11 from the line. The Canes shot 50 percent in the second half after being 0-for-6 from three-point range in the first half.

“The first half we just had a lot of jitters,” guard Lance Hurdle said. “Second half was Miami basketball.”

Miami takes on second-seeded Texas Sunday at 2:15 p.m. on CBS (Miami’s channel 4). Haith will take on his mentor, Rick Barnes, under whom he was an assistant for four years with the Longhorns.

“He’s my best friend,” Haith said. “I really don’t want to play against him, but if we don’t win I want to pull for Texas because of what he’s meant to me.”

Corey Erb may be contacted at c.erb@umiami.edu.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...