MEN’S BASKETBALL: Miami falls to Texas, 75-72

For more on the Canes second round defeat, stay with The Miami Hurricane or check out “Corey’s Stories: Dispatches from the NCAA tournament” at blogs.themiamihurricane.com.

UPDATED 6:03 P.M. 3/23/08

NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – The University of Miami men’s basketball team’s comeback effort from 16 points down fell just short, as the Texas Longhorns eliminated the Canes, 75-72, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament in Little Rock, Ark. Sunday.

“I think our kids didn’t quit,” Hurricanes coach Frank Haith said. “Second half I thought we played better defense and we just ran out of time.”

Texas guard A.J. Abrams finished with a game-high 26 points on 6-of-10 three-point shooting. D.J. Augustin, the Longhorns’ leading scorer, ended with 12 points on 4-of-14 shooting but missed one of two free throws with 1.8 seconds remaining to give the Hurricanes a last chance. Anthony King’s full-court pass fell short and time expired.

“We knew they were going to come back and fight back and we just had to hold on,” Augustin said.

Texas shot 56 percent from three-point range in the first half, but was held to 8-of-23 field goals in the second half, helping the Hurricanes cut into an 11-point halftime deficit.

Jack McClinton finished with 18 points but didn’t score in the second half until 5:13 as part of a 25-10 Hurricanes run that ignited the neutral-site crowd in favor of UM.

“You expect it,” Texas coach Rick Barnes said. “I don’t care where you play, people love to see the darker uniforms win.”
Haith said he was proud of his team’s effort in the comeback.

He added: “You got to give them credit for how hard they competed.”

Corey Erb may be contacted at c.erb@umiami.edu.

POSTED 4:35 P.M. 3/23/08

Miami fell to the Texas Longhorns in the second round of the NCAA tournament Sunday, 75-72.

The Canes were down by as much as 17 in the second half, but a furious comeback gave Miami a chance to tie with the final shot. However, the inbounds pass was tipped, and the clock ran out on Miami’s season.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Hurricanes take center stage Saturday as the nation begins celebrating college football's 1 ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Freshman midfielder Ine Østmo joined the Hurricanes in January as an early enrolee from Mandal, Norw ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...