HEALTHY CANE

Have you frequently found yourself in a shitty situation – literally? Between 25 and 55 million Americans suffer from irritable bowel syndrome.

The disease, which afflicts mostly women, is not life threatening but may become a chronic problem that can significantly impair quality of life. Symptoms of IBS include but are not limited to violent episodes of diarrhea; constipation; constipation alternating with diarrhea; abdominal pain and cramps that are aggravated by eating and relieved by having a bowel movement; excess gas and bloating; and harder or looser stools than normal.

Some people with IBS may experience more or fewer symptoms depending upon the severity of their disease. The mechanisms behind IBS are still not fully understood, but there are several triggers to IBS including specific foods, medications, the presence of gas or stool and emotional stress.

If you think you may have IBS your physician can diagnose you based on several clinical tests, including blood testing for anemia, stool testing, lactose intolerance and the test that has 40-year-olds all over the states shaking in their panties. a colonoscopy. But don’t worry if the doctors do determine that you have IBS, there are several treatments addressing stress release techniques and food avoidance as well as some new medications that show promise.

Ashleyann Gosselin may be contacted at a.gosselin@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...