HEALTHY CANE

Have you frequently found yourself in a shitty situation – literally? Between 25 and 55 million Americans suffer from irritable bowel syndrome.

The disease, which afflicts mostly women, is not life threatening but may become a chronic problem that can significantly impair quality of life. Symptoms of IBS include but are not limited to violent episodes of diarrhea; constipation; constipation alternating with diarrhea; abdominal pain and cramps that are aggravated by eating and relieved by having a bowel movement; excess gas and bloating; and harder or looser stools than normal.

Some people with IBS may experience more or fewer symptoms depending upon the severity of their disease. The mechanisms behind IBS are still not fully understood, but there are several triggers to IBS including specific foods, medications, the presence of gas or stool and emotional stress.

If you think you may have IBS your physician can diagnose you based on several clinical tests, including blood testing for anemia, stool testing, lactose intolerance and the test that has 40-year-olds all over the states shaking in their panties. a colonoscopy. But don’t worry if the doctors do determine that you have IBS, there are several treatments addressing stress release techniques and food avoidance as well as some new medications that show promise.

Ashleyann Gosselin may be contacted at a.gosselin@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...