Gross, ‘Committed to U’ win SG run-off election

Brandon Gross’ “Committed to U” ticket triumphed in the Student Government elections, sweeping all three executive positions.

Gross’ victory with 912 votes, 178 more than Jeremy Crystal (“All About U”), was announced March 6, the Thursday before spring break started.

Claudia Medina and Shajena Erazo, the “Committed to U” vice president and treasurer candidates, respectively, also won their spots by more than 100 votes.

The announcement of the run-off victory, in which more than 1,500 students voted, came the day after the Elections Commission announced the results would be withheld pending judicial review by the SG Supreme Court.

Both “All About U” and “Committed to U” remained in the race after the review, with Gross’ campaign being penalized 15 points. It takes 20 points for a campaign to be disqualified.

The ruling came after Crystal’s campaign filed a possible violation, presenting a photo of Sebastian the Ibis wearing a green “Committed to U” T-shirt in a no-campaign zone near the UC Rock.

But none of this seemed to matter as Gross’ campaign celebrated on the UC Patio, with Cuban music playing in the background.

“It’s great to be a Miami Hurricane,” the team chanted repeatedly in victory.

However, Robert Goldring, a supporter of “All About U” and a junior, responded differently to the announcement, citing Gross for unfair election tactics.

“Sebastian the Ibis will get you 200 votes,” he said in response to the results, adding “if using Sebastian will only get you 15 points, what’s to stop someone from using Sebastian in the next election if you do not get kicked out of the election for using him?”

Gross’ first plan as SG president is to assemble an executive board and then assign jobs as necessary to fulfill his campaign promises.

These promises include extending shuttles on Fridays to go to Monty’s and CocoWalk. He also plans to bring ESPN U into the dorms.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu and Edward Fishman may be contacted at e.fishman@umiami.edu.

Results

President

Brandon Gross 912
Jeremy Crystal 734

Vice President

Claudia Medina 936
Anita Viciana 701

Treasurer

Shajena “Sha” Erazo 962
Celsus “CJ” Williams 669

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...