Flo Rida delivers the ‘Mail on Sunday’

Miami-bred Flo Rida, aka Tramar Dillard, released his highly anticipated debut album, Mail on Sunday this week to much fanfare. Flo Rida is best known for his amazingly popular smash single “Low,” featuring crooner T-Pain.

Flo Rida delivers the ‘Mail on Sunday’

While “Low” may be the biggest song of the last calendar year, selling over three million digital downloads, the smash song is followed up with a quality album from Flo Rida. On the album’s opening track, “American Superstar,” Flo Rida teams with Lil’ Wayne to provide yet another hit marked by Weezy’s noticeable wordplay.

On the next track, “Ack Like You Know,” Flo sends the listener a street anthem while paying homage to his home, Dade County. On the albums second single, the Timbaland-featured “Elevator,” Flo incessantly, and eventually boringly, raps about various sexy women stuck on his elevator.

Mail on Sunday is a legitimately solid album throughout, with 14 tracks and artist and producer features including Sean Kingston, JR Writer, Baby, the aforementioned T-Pain and Lil’ Wayne, and Flo’s Miami mates Rick Ross and Brisco.

With his debut, he proves he’s not just another Johnny-come-lately in the music industry.

Snoop Dogg shouldn’t be ‘Ego Trippin’

Snoop Dogg has been a music industry mainstay since he first collaborated with Dr. Dre in 1993. He’s released 10 albums to date, teaming with the hottest producers, rappers and singers in the music biz.

With his latest album, Ego Trippin’, which comes just a year after his last effort, is definitely a different sound from what Snoop fans are accustomed to. With 21 tracks on the album, and only one rapper being featured throughout, it’s pretty easy to get tired of Snoop by the time you sit through all of his experimental antics.

On “Sensual Seduction,” the album’s monster-hit single, Snoop plays the role of a ’60s soul singer who is aching and ready to take a gal home.

On “Press Play,” Snoop cools down over a jazzy beat and takes you to the West Coast with his cool slang and storytelling. On “Sets Up,” definitely the album’s strongest track, Snoop’s longtime collaborator Pharrell brings his noticeable sound and lends a catchy hook to his desperate friend.

Kudos to Snoop for trying a few different sounds on the album, which was likely to happen after working with DJ Quik and Teddy Riley on the entire album. However, his quick jumps from wealthy gangster rapper to 60’s near-porn star are lacking in solid transitions.

Dan Buyanovsky may be contacted at d.buyanovsky@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...