Flo Rida delivers the ‘Mail on Sunday’

Miami-bred Flo Rida, aka Tramar Dillard, released his highly anticipated debut album, Mail on Sunday this week to much fanfare. Flo Rida is best known for his amazingly popular smash single “Low,” featuring crooner T-Pain.

Flo Rida delivers the ‘Mail on Sunday’

While “Low” may be the biggest song of the last calendar year, selling over three million digital downloads, the smash song is followed up with a quality album from Flo Rida. On the album’s opening track, “American Superstar,” Flo Rida teams with Lil’ Wayne to provide yet another hit marked by Weezy’s noticeable wordplay.

On the next track, “Ack Like You Know,” Flo sends the listener a street anthem while paying homage to his home, Dade County. On the albums second single, the Timbaland-featured “Elevator,” Flo incessantly, and eventually boringly, raps about various sexy women stuck on his elevator.

Mail on Sunday is a legitimately solid album throughout, with 14 tracks and artist and producer features including Sean Kingston, JR Writer, Baby, the aforementioned T-Pain and Lil’ Wayne, and Flo’s Miami mates Rick Ross and Brisco.

With his debut, he proves he’s not just another Johnny-come-lately in the music industry.

Snoop Dogg shouldn’t be ‘Ego Trippin’

Snoop Dogg has been a music industry mainstay since he first collaborated with Dr. Dre in 1993. He’s released 10 albums to date, teaming with the hottest producers, rappers and singers in the music biz.

With his latest album, Ego Trippin’, which comes just a year after his last effort, is definitely a different sound from what Snoop fans are accustomed to. With 21 tracks on the album, and only one rapper being featured throughout, it’s pretty easy to get tired of Snoop by the time you sit through all of his experimental antics.

On “Sensual Seduction,” the album’s monster-hit single, Snoop plays the role of a ’60s soul singer who is aching and ready to take a gal home.

On “Press Play,” Snoop cools down over a jazzy beat and takes you to the West Coast with his cool slang and storytelling. On “Sets Up,” definitely the album’s strongest track, Snoop’s longtime collaborator Pharrell brings his noticeable sound and lends a catchy hook to his desperate friend.

Kudos to Snoop for trying a few different sounds on the album, which was likely to happen after working with DJ Quik and Teddy Riley on the entire album. However, his quick jumps from wealthy gangster rapper to 60’s near-porn star are lacking in solid transitions.

Dan Buyanovsky may be contacted at d.buyanovsky@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...