Coming clean best strategy after ‘accidental’ date

I’m not great with girls, but even so, I have an awesome girlfriend right now. She’s really pretty, smart and makes me laugh. Here’s the problem – I accidentally asked another girl out on a date and went on it. She’s great too, but I really like my girlfriend. I asked my good friend what she thought, but now she says she’s going to tell my girlfriend if I don’t. Now I am at danger of losing the best girl I’ve ever met, a girl I went on a date with by mistake, and a friend who hates me. What should I do?!

-Tool

Dear Tool,

Well, you’re right about a few things: (1) You’re a tool for doing this, (2) you’re not great with girls (clearly this is not a great thing to do to girls) and (3) you definitely are at danger of losing your girlfriend, especially if she’s as smart as you say she is.

Where you’re wrong is that you claim this was all an accident. You met someone, planned a date with her, and actually followed through with it! That, my friend, is not an accident. It’s called cheating.

Although you may pity yourself right now because you think you’ve been ‘backed into a corner,’ the truth is, this is a hell of your own making. The right thing to do now is to come clean with your awesome girlfriend and accept the consequences. She probably will dump you. Admit it: you’d dump you, too.

After you’ve been dumped, you’ll probably try to rebound with the girl you went on the date with, but nothing real can come of it.

Think about it, Tool. She’ll likely come to her senses and realize that the guy who will do it with her will probably do it to her. That or you’ll ruin it anyways before she’s able to come to that conclusion.

As far as your friend who hates you for being a tool, leave her out of it. She’s going to do what she’s going to do.

The best way to cut your losses is to just own your mess. Then maybe you’ll be able to start rising up from your inability to handle girls.

Best of luck!

Fact o’ the Day: The condom made originally of linen was invented in the early 1500s. Casanova the womanizer used linen condoms.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com. Do it! All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...