Student group say Burger King is responsible for “modern-day slavery” in Florida

About 30 people, including students and faculty, discussed “modern-day slavery” in America and how Burger King contributes to the issue.

Students Toward A New Democracy (STAND) hosted Tuesday’s event, which was inspired by the plight of three farm workers in Immokalee, Fla., who escaped from an oppressive tomato-harvesting employer on Nov. 20 and informed authorities of the bad conditions and treatment they endured.

Activist groups such as the Coalition of Immokalee Workers argue that the bad conditions are partially due to corporate giant Burger King’s overall lack of care for farmers and their power to purchase crops in bulk, which decreases wages for workers.

Cruz Salucio, a member of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers, said through a translator that the workers are frequently forced to work long hours, without overtime pay or benefits. He said that in extreme cases, theft and violence on the job can occur. Marc Rodriguez, a member of the Student/Farmworker Alliance, translated Salucio’s Spanish.

“We want to talk to you about how the food we eat gets to your plate,” Salucio said. “These are the realities behind these corporations, and how they make their profit, and it’s happening today, in the year 2008.”

Octavio Ramos, a graduate student, spoke about the history of slavery dating back to ancient times.

“The United Nations has a famous number,” he said. “There are close to 40 million people worldwide living under conditions that would be classified as slavery.”

Salucio said a national petition to give deserved rights and fair treatment to migrant workers will be presented to Burger King in late spring. STAND has already presented more than 500 signatures to Burger King’s vice president, said Jacob Coker-Dukowitz, a member of STAND.

STAND also hosted a nine-mile march from downtown Miami to the Burger King headquarters, with more than 1,000 participants.

STAND timeline

-Sept. 7, 2007: STAND members attended an Encuentro, a large meeting involving participants from across the nation with the Coalition of Immokalee Workers and the Student/Farmworker Alliance.

-Oct. 4, 2007: STAND hosted a forum about farm workers in Florida last semester with more than 70 people in attendance.

-Oct. 24, 2007: STAND held a vigil with the Rev. Frank Corbishley from the on-campus Episcopal Church with more than 60 people in attendance. They held three “speak outs” to educate students about the plight of migrant workers.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...