Student group say Burger King is responsible for “modern-day slavery” in Florida

About 30 people, including students and faculty, discussed “modern-day slavery” in America and how Burger King contributes to the issue.

Students Toward A New Democracy (STAND) hosted Tuesday’s event, which was inspired by the plight of three farm workers in Immokalee, Fla., who escaped from an oppressive tomato-harvesting employer on Nov. 20 and informed authorities of the bad conditions and treatment they endured.

Activist groups such as the Coalition of Immokalee Workers argue that the bad conditions are partially due to corporate giant Burger King’s overall lack of care for farmers and their power to purchase crops in bulk, which decreases wages for workers.

Cruz Salucio, a member of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers, said through a translator that the workers are frequently forced to work long hours, without overtime pay or benefits. He said that in extreme cases, theft and violence on the job can occur. Marc Rodriguez, a member of the Student/Farmworker Alliance, translated Salucio’s Spanish.

“We want to talk to you about how the food we eat gets to your plate,” Salucio said. “These are the realities behind these corporations, and how they make their profit, and it’s happening today, in the year 2008.”

Octavio Ramos, a graduate student, spoke about the history of slavery dating back to ancient times.

“The United Nations has a famous number,” he said. “There are close to 40 million people worldwide living under conditions that would be classified as slavery.”

Salucio said a national petition to give deserved rights and fair treatment to migrant workers will be presented to Burger King in late spring. STAND has already presented more than 500 signatures to Burger King’s vice president, said Jacob Coker-Dukowitz, a member of STAND.

STAND also hosted a nine-mile march from downtown Miami to the Burger King headquarters, with more than 1,000 participants.

STAND timeline

-Sept. 7, 2007: STAND members attended an Encuentro, a large meeting involving participants from across the nation with the Coalition of Immokalee Workers and the Student/Farmworker Alliance.

-Oct. 4, 2007: STAND hosted a forum about farm workers in Florida last semester with more than 70 people in attendance.

-Oct. 24, 2007: STAND held a vigil with the Rev. Frank Corbishley from the on-campus Episcopal Church with more than 60 people in attendance. They held three “speak outs” to educate students about the plight of migrant workers.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...