Actor out to prove he is more than just another look-alike

Click here or scroll to the bottom of the story to watch Nick Maslow’s video interview with Sean Faris.

Actor Sean Faris is more likely to be recognized for his uncanny resemblance to Tom Cruise than his roles in Yours Mine and Ours and ABC’s teen sex drama Life As We Know It. But with the nationwide release of his new action flick Never Back Down on March 14, the 25-year-old is hoping to finally make a face for himself.

In his first lead role, Faris plays Jake Tyler, an underprivileged and temperamental son of a struggling widow. When news of Tyler’s tough past spreads at his new high school, he resorts to bloody street fights and party brawls to defend his reputation. But when a mixed martial arts teacher and mentor (Djimon Hounsou) helps Tyler hone his talent, he learns to use his fists not only to fight, but to transform himself from a victim into a victor.

Faris was recently at the Shore Club in Miami Beach to discuss the film, his extreme fight scenes and faking romance for the camera.

Nick Maslow: At what age did people start saying, “Hey, you look like Tom Cruise, buddy?”

Sean Faris: When I was 10 years old actually. I think someone in my neighborhood had just seen Top Gun. He goes, ‘Hey, you look like that Tom Cruise guy.’ So then I convinced the whole neighborhood that he was my dad and I was living with my uncle because my dad was off making movies.

NM: Never Back Down looks very strenuous to shoot.

SF: We spent three months, six days a week, six hours a day, doing Muay Thai, Jiu-Jitsu and Taekwondo and also doing weight lifting. I put on 15 pounds of lean muscle for the film. And lots of stretching, chiropractors and massage therapists to keep us going.

NM: Any injuries while you were on set?

SF: I broke my thumb and a small bone in my back called the L3 spinus transverse process. Try saying that 10 times really fast. But I’m all healed up now and I still did 75 percent of my stunts even after I broke my back.

NM: There’s a lot of sexual tension and flirtation in the movie? Was there any on set?

SF: Nah, it’s all work.

NM: That’s what they always say, though.

SF: What people don’t understand though is that on the set you’ve got a director, crew and all these people around. So the intimacy is not always there. You create the intimacy for the moment.

Visit TheMiamiHurricane.com/multimedia to watch raw footage of the interview.

Nick Maslow may be contacted at nick@miami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...