TRACK AND FIELD: Individuals shine at ACC championships

It was another display of dominance for All-Americans Tim Harris and Krista Simkins at the ACC Indoor Track and Field Championships this weekend. Running on a slow track, both gave impressive performances that cemented their NCAA-contender status.

Harris, a senior, won the 800 meters in 1 minute 50.05 seconds. It was his third consecutive win at the meet, and men’s head coach Mike Ward said he was pleased with Harris’ performance heading into the NCAA indoor championships in two weeks.

“It was his sixth ACC title in a row. He was pretty dominant. The kid from Georgia Tech took it out, but Tim didn’t have any problems catching him,” Ward said.

Simkins, also a senior, was equally dominant on the women’s side. After breezing through heats Friday, she outran the field in the 400 meters Saturday, running 53.84 to win by more than a full second. Later, she won the 200 meters in 23.65, more than half a second ahead of her closest competition.

Viktoria Andonova was another one of the University of Miami’s quality performers. She won the women’s high jump with a leap of 1.80 meters, her second consecutive ACC indoor title – good for the NCAA provisional standard. In the men’s high jump, Elan Daviglus was second with a jump of 2.04 meters. Ward said his achievement was noteworthy because of his struggle with an injured foot.

UM freshmen sprinters Tara Thomas and DeMarcus Van Dyke also did well. Thomas finished fourth in the women’s 60 meters with a time of 7.47. Van Dyke ran 6.81 in the qualifying round, just seven-hundredths off the NCAA provisional standard. Though Ward was “very pleased,” he said Van Dyke would return to football practice this week, and not seek to meet the mark.

Going into the NCAA meet, Harris has the seventh fastest time in the country, and Ward expressed optimism of his chances.

“He has as good a shot as anybody. He’s been there before and knows what he has to do.”

The NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships, UM Track and Field’s next meet, take place March 14-15 in Fayetteville, Ark.

Krishen Rangi may be contacted at k.rangi@umiami.edu.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...