Those who criticize the newspaper should get involved

Enough is enough. I can’t stand opening The Hurricane every week to see yet another student complaining about coverage in the paper. Here is what seems to be a little known fact: The Hurricane is run by students and the paper’s coverage is determined by students. If you aren’t happy with what you see in the paper each week, there is a solution to help them expand their coverage: join The Hurricane’s staff. Any student, can work for the paper.

As editor of the Ibis yearbook, I see the same problems. Students on this campus are quick to complain about how a publication covers an event or an organization. If you want to see change in the content of student media on campus, go to their offices and ask for an application. We want you to work on our staffs and we want you to help us accurately cover the campus. But that is hard to do when the only people coming forward to work on a publication are all journalism students.

As a direct response to Rachael Goldberg’s letter, it is not the responsibility of the student newspaper to report what the student body wants from Student Government. SG should maintain relationships with all students (not just those that are involved) on their own to find out what they want. This year’s president, Danny Carvajal, started a Student Government blog (umsg.blogspot.com) to use as an outlet to inform students of what Student Government is doing. This media outlet should be explored and promoted as a way to reach out to the student body.

– Sarah Baird
Senior, Ibis editor in chief

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...