Those who criticize the newspaper should get involved

Enough is enough. I can’t stand opening The Hurricane every week to see yet another student complaining about coverage in the paper. Here is what seems to be a little known fact: The Hurricane is run by students and the paper’s coverage is determined by students. If you aren’t happy with what you see in the paper each week, there is a solution to help them expand their coverage: join The Hurricane’s staff. Any student, can work for the paper.

As editor of the Ibis yearbook, I see the same problems. Students on this campus are quick to complain about how a publication covers an event or an organization. If you want to see change in the content of student media on campus, go to their offices and ask for an application. We want you to work on our staffs and we want you to help us accurately cover the campus. But that is hard to do when the only people coming forward to work on a publication are all journalism students.

As a direct response to Rachael Goldberg’s letter, it is not the responsibility of the student newspaper to report what the student body wants from Student Government. SG should maintain relationships with all students (not just those that are involved) on their own to find out what they want. This year’s president, Danny Carvajal, started a Student Government blog (umsg.blogspot.com) to use as an outlet to inform students of what Student Government is doing. This media outlet should be explored and promoted as a way to reach out to the student body.

– Sarah Baird
Senior, Ibis editor in chief

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...