‘Semi-Pro’ provides adequate laughs, weird characters

Will Ferrell’s latest foray into the goofball sports-comedy genre may indicate that he is going to that too many times. Fortunately, Semi-Pro delivers just enough to get by.

As the Flint Tropics’ owner, coach and starting forward, Jackie Moon (Ferrell) seems to have found a haven for his unique mixture of promotion and sports.

His livelihood is threatened when the basketball league announces they will be dissolving at season’s end, taking only four teams to their new league. Through a standard twist of sports-comedy fare, the league agrees to let the teams with the top four records join the NBA.

Semi-Pro forgoes actual basketball scenes and instead focuses on its large cast of strange characters. There are random bits throughout the film such, as a bear fight and a referee who doubles as a priest, but enough of the jokes earn a chuckle that the whiffs can be overlooked.

When the movie turns serious, it wastes time on an out-of-place romance thread involving a washed-up player (Woody Harrelson).

But Ferrell’s character is a decidedly good person (his motto is “everybody love everybody”), which is a rarity in this genre.

Anyone looking for a serviceable comedy can do worse than Semi-Pro.

Gabe Habash may be contacted at s.habash1@umiami.edu.

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...