‘Semi-Pro’ provides adequate laughs, weird characters

Will Ferrell’s latest foray into the goofball sports-comedy genre may indicate that he is going to that too many times. Fortunately, Semi-Pro delivers just enough to get by.

As the Flint Tropics’ owner, coach and starting forward, Jackie Moon (Ferrell) seems to have found a haven for his unique mixture of promotion and sports.

His livelihood is threatened when the basketball league announces they will be dissolving at season’s end, taking only four teams to their new league. Through a standard twist of sports-comedy fare, the league agrees to let the teams with the top four records join the NBA.

Semi-Pro forgoes actual basketball scenes and instead focuses on its large cast of strange characters. There are random bits throughout the film such, as a bear fight and a referee who doubles as a priest, but enough of the jokes earn a chuckle that the whiffs can be overlooked.

When the movie turns serious, it wastes time on an out-of-place romance thread involving a washed-up player (Woody Harrelson).

But Ferrell’s character is a decidedly good person (his motto is “everybody love everybody”), which is a rarity in this genre.

Anyone looking for a serviceable comedy can do worse than Semi-Pro.

Gabe Habash may be contacted at s.habash1@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...