Former Canes showcase talent for NFL scouts

Former Canes Tavares Gooden, Kyle Wright, Darnell Jenkins and Calais Campbell said they improved certain drills Friday at the University of Miami Pro Timing Day in front of NFL coaches and scouts.

“Everybody I’m used to here in sunny South Florida, you know, all nice and warm, I think that helped me out with my running,” linebacker Tavares Gooden said.

Gooden improved his vertical jump to 39.5 inches, 4.5 inches higher than his jump in Indianapolis earlier this week at the NFL Scouting Combine. He also recorded 40-yard dash times of 4.52 and 4.48 seconds, down from 4.6 seconds in Indy, despite what he called a tweaked hamstring.

Quarterback Kyle Wright said he thought he threw well enough to warrant being drafted and that he received “a lot of good feedback” on how he threw.

Receiver Darnell Jenkins ran a 4.45-second 40-yard dash, an improvement over his time at the Combine, which he described simply as “slow.” He also called the drill overrated because it doesn’t measure football speed.

“When [teams]watch my film, it’s much faster than that,” Jenkins said.

Defensive lineman Calais Campbell said of his draft stock: “It all depends on the coach you ask. I think I’m anywhere from early-mid all the way to the end of the first [round].”

Campbell said he felt he impressed coaches in the position drills and by improving his vertical from 29.5 to 34.5 inches. He said he will spend draft day in April at home with his family in Colorado.

Safety Kenny Phillips, who only worked out in defensive back drills, said he wanted to extend the Hurricanes’ streak of producing a first rounder in 13 straight drafts.

“It’d feel real good,” he said. “If I don’t do it, Calais is going to do it anyway, so we’ll be all right.”

Gooden added, “[Teams] want to draft Hurricanes, but there’s only so many picks you get.”

Jenkins and Gooden both said they were impressed by cornerback Glenn Sharpe, who competed in drills despite lingering leg injuries.

“Glenn showed toughness,” Jenkins said. “He was hurt and he still ran a 4.4 [40-yard dash] hurt.”

The event was attended by current NFL players and former Canes Antrel Rolle and Frank Gore, as well as many players on the current UM roster.

Other athletes working out for the NFL scouts included offensive linemen Andrew Bain, Derrick Morse, John Rochford and Cyrim Wimbs; defensive linemen Vegas Franklin and Teraz McCray; defensive back Willie Cooper; receiver Lance Leggett; and long snapper Ross Abramson.

Corey Erb may be contacted at c.erb@umiami.edu.

For more on Hurricanes football, check out Stein on the Sidelines, blogs.themiamihurricanes.com’s football blog.

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

For the 17th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season in the top 25 of the ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...