EDITORIAL: Students: Why Didn’t U Vote?

Twenty-one percent of students voted in this year’s Student Government elections – the most the university has seen in a while. Not only that, but this election proved that every ballot counts, based on the one vote difference between Jeremy Crystal (“All About U”) and Brandon Gross (“Committed to U”).

Still, there’s something missing. It wasn’t the candidate’s passion – Jeremy went to multiple lecture classes to spread his message, Brandon’s ticket had a dog mascot walking around campus in a “Committed to U” T-shirt and Dan Lazaro (“Make it Happen for U”) made a video about his top campaign goals.

It was the students’ passion that was lacking substance. Fewer than 50 people showed up to the vice presidential and presidential debates. About 79 percent of the university could not take the time – which was less than five minutes, mind you – to walk past the UC Breezeway and cast a vote. And pretty much only ticket cabinet members and SG senators cared enough about the winners to show up to the results announcement last Thursday.

Although UM is not Louisiana State or the University of Florida, where students are much more involved and almost overzealous about elections, they do have an opportunity to be involved.

This week everyone who didn’t vote now has a chance to show some political savvy by stopping by the Breezeway, sitting at the computer and clicking the mouse a couple times. It will be as easy as one, two, three.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...