EDITORIAL: Students: Why Didn’t U Vote?

Twenty-one percent of students voted in this year’s Student Government elections – the most the university has seen in a while. Not only that, but this election proved that every ballot counts, based on the one vote difference between Jeremy Crystal (“All About U”) and Brandon Gross (“Committed to U”).

Still, there’s something missing. It wasn’t the candidate’s passion – Jeremy went to multiple lecture classes to spread his message, Brandon’s ticket had a dog mascot walking around campus in a “Committed to U” T-shirt and Dan Lazaro (“Make it Happen for U”) made a video about his top campaign goals.

It was the students’ passion that was lacking substance. Fewer than 50 people showed up to the vice presidential and presidential debates. About 79 percent of the university could not take the time – which was less than five minutes, mind you – to walk past the UC Breezeway and cast a vote. And pretty much only ticket cabinet members and SG senators cared enough about the winners to show up to the results announcement last Thursday.

Although UM is not Louisiana State or the University of Florida, where students are much more involved and almost overzealous about elections, they do have an opportunity to be involved.

This week everyone who didn’t vote now has a chance to show some political savvy by stopping by the Breezeway, sitting at the computer and clicking the mouse a couple times. It will be as easy as one, two, three.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...