Analysis: The feasibility of the candidates’ initiatives

With Student Government elections going to a run-off between Jeremy Crystal’s “All About U” ticket and Brandon Gross’ “Committed to U” ticket, some students have more time to think about their vote.

The Miami Hurricane spoke with university administrator to assess the feasibility of each ticket’s top platform goals. Here are some things voters should know:

Crystal’s “All About U” main initiatives are to increase commuter parking by paving and delineating the gravel parking lot by the business school; to allow unused dining hall meals to rollover or convert to dining dollars; to make Cane Card usable off campus; and to have an ATM at every residential college.

Sandra Redway, director of Business Services, said paving the gravel lot in front of the business school is “rather unlikely, since this is a temporary parking lot which will ultimately be reinstated to University Green space.”

Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, also noted that adding ATMs to every residential college would be extremely challenging.

“It was very difficult to get the banks to agree to the Wellness and [Pearson] locations several years ago,” Whitely said. “In fact, Bank of America removed their ATM two years ago from the Wellness Center due to lack of volume.”

As for Cane Card use off campus, Whitely said it “has been pursued by previous administrations of SG to no avail. [We are] always willing to look at this issue again, but as everyone knows it is a very challenging issue.”

The ticket also wants unused meals to roll over into dining dollars, may be difficult to do, as the contract with Chartwells, which stipulates the current policies, does not expire until 2019.

As for Brandon Gross’ ticket, its main goals are to have an on-campus car rental system; to revamp the advising process and allow online registration for all students; and to expand Green U.

After talking to Whitely, the ticket’s plans to bring Zip Cars on campus seems possible.

“I would be willing to work with parking and transportation to explore it,” Whitely said. The service would be an agreement between the student and the company, with the university acting as a third party. “I’m not opposed to it, but we would have to figure out the liability.”

The expanded recycling initiatives is feasible as long as the ticket follows through with educating UNICCO workers and also as long as UNICCO workers agree to participate.

As for the registration and advising, The Hurricane tried several times to contact Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc and Vice Provost William Scott Green, but did not receive confirmation about the feasibility of this plan. Right now, students with 75 credits or more are allowed to register online without an advising appointment.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...