Analysis: The feasibility of the candidates’ initiatives

With Student Government elections going to a run-off between Jeremy Crystal’s “All About U” ticket and Brandon Gross’ “Committed to U” ticket, some students have more time to think about their vote.

The Miami Hurricane spoke with university administrator to assess the feasibility of each ticket’s top platform goals. Here are some things voters should know:

Crystal’s “All About U” main initiatives are to increase commuter parking by paving and delineating the gravel parking lot by the business school; to allow unused dining hall meals to rollover or convert to dining dollars; to make Cane Card usable off campus; and to have an ATM at every residential college.

Sandra Redway, director of Business Services, said paving the gravel lot in front of the business school is “rather unlikely, since this is a temporary parking lot which will ultimately be reinstated to University Green space.”

Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, also noted that adding ATMs to every residential college would be extremely challenging.

“It was very difficult to get the banks to agree to the Wellness and [Pearson] locations several years ago,” Whitely said. “In fact, Bank of America removed their ATM two years ago from the Wellness Center due to lack of volume.”

As for Cane Card use off campus, Whitely said it “has been pursued by previous administrations of SG to no avail. [We are] always willing to look at this issue again, but as everyone knows it is a very challenging issue.”

The ticket also wants unused meals to roll over into dining dollars, may be difficult to do, as the contract with Chartwells, which stipulates the current policies, does not expire until 2019.

As for Brandon Gross’ ticket, its main goals are to have an on-campus car rental system; to revamp the advising process and allow online registration for all students; and to expand Green U.

After talking to Whitely, the ticket’s plans to bring Zip Cars on campus seems possible.

“I would be willing to work with parking and transportation to explore it,” Whitely said. The service would be an agreement between the student and the company, with the university acting as a third party. “I’m not opposed to it, but we would have to figure out the liability.”

The expanded recycling initiatives is feasible as long as the ticket follows through with educating UNICCO workers and also as long as UNICCO workers agree to participate.

As for the registration and advising, The Hurricane tried several times to contact Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc and Vice Provost William Scott Green, but did not receive confirmation about the feasibility of this plan. Right now, students with 75 credits or more are allowed to register online without an advising appointment.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...