Analysis: The feasibility of the candidates’ initiatives

With Student Government elections going to a run-off between Jeremy Crystal’s “All About U” ticket and Brandon Gross’ “Committed to U” ticket, some students have more time to think about their vote.

The Miami Hurricane spoke with university administrator to assess the feasibility of each ticket’s top platform goals. Here are some things voters should know:

Crystal’s “All About U” main initiatives are to increase commuter parking by paving and delineating the gravel parking lot by the business school; to allow unused dining hall meals to rollover or convert to dining dollars; to make Cane Card usable off campus; and to have an ATM at every residential college.

Sandra Redway, director of Business Services, said paving the gravel lot in front of the business school is “rather unlikely, since this is a temporary parking lot which will ultimately be reinstated to University Green space.”

Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, also noted that adding ATMs to every residential college would be extremely challenging.

“It was very difficult to get the banks to agree to the Wellness and [Pearson] locations several years ago,” Whitely said. “In fact, Bank of America removed their ATM two years ago from the Wellness Center due to lack of volume.”

As for Cane Card use off campus, Whitely said it “has been pursued by previous administrations of SG to no avail. [We are] always willing to look at this issue again, but as everyone knows it is a very challenging issue.”

The ticket also wants unused meals to roll over into dining dollars, may be difficult to do, as the contract with Chartwells, which stipulates the current policies, does not expire until 2019.

As for Brandon Gross’ ticket, its main goals are to have an on-campus car rental system; to revamp the advising process and allow online registration for all students; and to expand Green U.

After talking to Whitely, the ticket’s plans to bring Zip Cars on campus seems possible.

“I would be willing to work with parking and transportation to explore it,” Whitely said. The service would be an agreement between the student and the company, with the university acting as a third party. “I’m not opposed to it, but we would have to figure out the liability.”

The expanded recycling initiatives is feasible as long as the ticket follows through with educating UNICCO workers and also as long as UNICCO workers agree to participate.

As for the registration and advising, The Hurricane tried several times to contact Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc and Vice Provost William Scott Green, but did not receive confirmation about the feasibility of this plan. Right now, students with 75 credits or more are allowed to register online without an advising appointment.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...