Analysis: The feasibility of the candidates’ initiatives

With Student Government elections going to a run-off between Jeremy Crystal’s “All About U” ticket and Brandon Gross’ “Committed to U” ticket, some students have more time to think about their vote.

The Miami Hurricane spoke with university administrator to assess the feasibility of each ticket’s top platform goals. Here are some things voters should know:

Crystal’s “All About U” main initiatives are to increase commuter parking by paving and delineating the gravel parking lot by the business school; to allow unused dining hall meals to rollover or convert to dining dollars; to make Cane Card usable off campus; and to have an ATM at every residential college.

Sandra Redway, director of Business Services, said paving the gravel lot in front of the business school is “rather unlikely, since this is a temporary parking lot which will ultimately be reinstated to University Green space.”

Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, also noted that adding ATMs to every residential college would be extremely challenging.

“It was very difficult to get the banks to agree to the Wellness and [Pearson] locations several years ago,” Whitely said. “In fact, Bank of America removed their ATM two years ago from the Wellness Center due to lack of volume.”

As for Cane Card use off campus, Whitely said it “has been pursued by previous administrations of SG to no avail. [We are] always willing to look at this issue again, but as everyone knows it is a very challenging issue.”

The ticket also wants unused meals to roll over into dining dollars, may be difficult to do, as the contract with Chartwells, which stipulates the current policies, does not expire until 2019.

As for Brandon Gross’ ticket, its main goals are to have an on-campus car rental system; to revamp the advising process and allow online registration for all students; and to expand Green U.

After talking to Whitely, the ticket’s plans to bring Zip Cars on campus seems possible.

“I would be willing to work with parking and transportation to explore it,” Whitely said. The service would be an agreement between the student and the company, with the university acting as a third party. “I’m not opposed to it, but we would have to figure out the liability.”

The expanded recycling initiatives is feasible as long as the ticket follows through with educating UNICCO workers and also as long as UNICCO workers agree to participate.

As for the registration and advising, The Hurricane tried several times to contact Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc and Vice Provost William Scott Green, but did not receive confirmation about the feasibility of this plan. Right now, students with 75 credits or more are allowed to register online without an advising appointment.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...