A wealth of wellness activities for all students

See video coverage of the Zumba class below or by clicking here.

As an incoming first-year student, Maggie Stewart was scared of gaining the “freshman 15.”

To battle the possible weight gain, she decided to use the Wellness Center’s core conditioning class taught by senior Ranier Pollard, who inspired her to “crunch instead of munch her semesters away,” Stewart said.

The core conditioning class is just one of a variety of programs offered to students at the Wellness Center.

Programs vary from nutrition education and cooking to Zumba, a Latin aerobic dance class, and “Guts-N-Butts,” a lower body firming class.

The Wellness Center membership is available to undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and alumni. Memberships range from $38 to $44 monthly.

Kim Samlut, director of Group Fitness, said the center is constantly introducing new programs so that there will be something for everyone.

“Be Smoke Free” is one of them. It is a six-week program that helps smokers quit through psychological and behavioral interventions, including complementary techniques such as hypnosis, acupuncture and follow-up group support.

Another popular program is the after-workout massage session. Sophomore Kathleen McReynolds said giving massages at the Wellness Center is a great idea because it’s close and cheap. “Not to mention, they do an amazing job at rubbing out my problems.”

Through health-oriented cooking classes, members get hands-on experience cooking a variety of healthy menu items and sampling creations in an instructional kitchen setting.

“I’m not really a gym person, so the cooking class was perfect for people like me because it got me to be healthy and go to the Wellness Center without feeling forced to lift weights or jump on treadmill,” Carrie Gilbride, a sophomore, said.

Private cooking lessons can be arranged by the Wellness Center with one of the chefs on site.

In addition, intramural sports and club sports can provide a competitive environment for a number of sports including soccer, flag football and martial arts.

Some students look to these sports as a relief from daily life.

“Sometimes when class is incredibly overwhelming, I just can’t wait to get to practice, see my friends and play my favorite sport,” said Kristin Gorney, a freshman member of the club volleyball team. “It’s my odd stress reliever.”

Stephanie Ceverino may be contact at s.ceverino@umiami.edu, and Colleen Dourney may be contacted at c.dourney@umiami.edu.

Available Wellness programs

Be Smoke Free: A smoke cessation program

CHAMP: Overall fitness evaluation

Club Sports: Club sports are available for students, faculty and staff with different sports available ranging from baseball to football to ultimate Frisbee

Cooking Demonstrations: The Wellness Center has an instructional kitchen, which provides a classroom setting

Group Fitness and Instructional Programs: Aerobics, Studio Cycling, Yoga, Instructional Classes, Personal Training and Fitness Testing

Intramural Sports and Events

Massage Therapy

Mini Canes Camp: A summer camp run by college students, Miami-Dade County teachers and UM staff

Nutrition Education: Speak with weight management consultants and Wellness Center staff certified to give advice on exercising

Personal Training

Shape Up: An incentive program designed to encourage people to get in

Walking Canes 10K-A-Day: Employees who sign up to participate receive a free pedometer to keep track of the number of footsteps

For more information visit
www.miami.edu/wellness.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...