A wealth of wellness activities for all students

See video coverage of the Zumba class below or by clicking here.

As an incoming first-year student, Maggie Stewart was scared of gaining the “freshman 15.”

To battle the possible weight gain, she decided to use the Wellness Center’s core conditioning class taught by senior Ranier Pollard, who inspired her to “crunch instead of munch her semesters away,” Stewart said.

The core conditioning class is just one of a variety of programs offered to students at the Wellness Center.

Programs vary from nutrition education and cooking to Zumba, a Latin aerobic dance class, and “Guts-N-Butts,” a lower body firming class.

The Wellness Center membership is available to undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and alumni. Memberships range from $38 to $44 monthly.

Kim Samlut, director of Group Fitness, said the center is constantly introducing new programs so that there will be something for everyone.

“Be Smoke Free” is one of them. It is a six-week program that helps smokers quit through psychological and behavioral interventions, including complementary techniques such as hypnosis, acupuncture and follow-up group support.

Another popular program is the after-workout massage session. Sophomore Kathleen McReynolds said giving massages at the Wellness Center is a great idea because it’s close and cheap. “Not to mention, they do an amazing job at rubbing out my problems.”

Through health-oriented cooking classes, members get hands-on experience cooking a variety of healthy menu items and sampling creations in an instructional kitchen setting.

“I’m not really a gym person, so the cooking class was perfect for people like me because it got me to be healthy and go to the Wellness Center without feeling forced to lift weights or jump on treadmill,” Carrie Gilbride, a sophomore, said.

Private cooking lessons can be arranged by the Wellness Center with one of the chefs on site.

In addition, intramural sports and club sports can provide a competitive environment for a number of sports including soccer, flag football and martial arts.

Some students look to these sports as a relief from daily life.

“Sometimes when class is incredibly overwhelming, I just can’t wait to get to practice, see my friends and play my favorite sport,” said Kristin Gorney, a freshman member of the club volleyball team. “It’s my odd stress reliever.”

Stephanie Ceverino may be contact at s.ceverino@umiami.edu, and Colleen Dourney may be contacted at c.dourney@umiami.edu.

Available Wellness programs

Be Smoke Free: A smoke cessation program

CHAMP: Overall fitness evaluation

Club Sports: Club sports are available for students, faculty and staff with different sports available ranging from baseball to football to ultimate Frisbee

Cooking Demonstrations: The Wellness Center has an instructional kitchen, which provides a classroom setting

Group Fitness and Instructional Programs: Aerobics, Studio Cycling, Yoga, Instructional Classes, Personal Training and Fitness Testing

Intramural Sports and Events

Massage Therapy

Mini Canes Camp: A summer camp run by college students, Miami-Dade County teachers and UM staff

Nutrition Education: Speak with weight management consultants and Wellness Center staff certified to give advice on exercising

Personal Training

Shape Up: An incentive program designed to encourage people to get in

Walking Canes 10K-A-Day: Employees who sign up to participate receive a free pedometer to keep track of the number of footsteps

For more information visit
www.miami.edu/wellness.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...