WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Squad doomed by slow start

Poor shooting and foul trouble put Miami into a hole they couldn’t dig out of Sunday as the Canes fell to Wake Forest, 50-45.

Miami (9-18, 2-10 ACC) fell behind early, failing to score a basket in the first five minutes. The Demon Deacons (15-13, 2-11 ACC) held a 6-0 lead before senior Maurita Reid broke the drought with two of her 15 points.

“[It was] our worst start to begin a game all season,” said head coach Katie Meier. “It was all about the energy level. You could see it in the players’ body language and faces. They just physically looked depleted. We just needed to be louder in our huddles and demand extra effort.”

Despite hitting only 27.6 percent of their shots during the first half, Miami stayed competitive thanks to their defense, which kept Wake Forest’s offense seven points below its average and had 13 steals.

“We showed multiple defenses and pressured the ball,” Meier said. “Key rebounds made the comeback. Defensively, we’re putting in the effort and offensively we need to make adjustments and get on the same page. There was great chemistry on defense.”

Despite her high point total, Reid was plagued by foul trouble and fouled out late in the game.

“[It didn’t have] as much an effect as you’d think,” Meier said. “[Reid] couldn’t be as aggressive on defense but she played very, very hard and a ton of minutes, and she covered a lot of ground on the court. Someone else needs to make the shot.”

Wake Forest junior Alex Tchangoue had a season-high 18 points and junior Corinne Groves added 12 points and 10 rebounds for her third double-double of the year.

Freshman Epiphany Woodson, playing near her hometown, struggled from the field with only five points on 1-13 shooting for Miami, but she put in 36 minutes and had a team-high seven rebounds.

Miami now anticipates their final road game of the season against Florida State Thursday night, looking to avenge their tough 75-70 overtime loss from a little over a month ago.

“That was a real tough loss in OT and it really hurt our team spirit,” Meier said. “We’re planning on going up to FSU and getting the same energy and tough defense and work out the kinks on offense.”

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...