UMPD’s Chief Rivero buys lunch if you provide the tips

With a strong frame and a commanding handshake, University of Miami Chief of Police David A. Rivero could intimidate anyone – until he smiles.

Since December, UMPD has allowed students to have lunch with Rivero anywhere on campus, his treat. The catch is that students must bring to the table one way UMPD can improve. This opportunity is separate from Rivero’s own efforts to make UMPD more community oriented, he said.

Rivero’s overall goal is to get to know the students.

“I just like talking to kids and students,” he said. “I can give them some good ideas.”

Students have also proven to give good ideas. About 10 students have dined with Rivero and changes have been made as a result.

One student supplied handouts and endorsed a company that specializes in anti-terrorism training, Rivero said. Since that meeting, UMPD has hired the company to train their officers.

Another student suggested that since campus parking lots aren’t patrolled on the weekends the meter parking spaces shouldn’t be either. Rivero took this idea and relayed it to Parking and Transportation Services.

Rivero has also contacted a student to have lunch with him. Freshman Justin Antweil wrote an opinion piece for The Miami Hurricane that claimed students should be allowed to rush the field at the last game in the Orange Bowl. Rivero found Antweil’s writing appealing and asked him to lunch.

“He was a really nice guy, really down-to-earth,” Antweil said. “If you have an issue at stake, I would definitely recommend having lunch with him.”

Of the topics raised by students who dined with the Rivero, the most common was parking. Sophomore Jessica Punchatz said she would consider having lunch with Rivero and would suggest an increased amount of security patrols.

“There are always improvements that can be made and I didn’t even know that [having lunch with Rivero]was an option,” she said.

Rivero believes that with every student he meets he is making one more person feel safer.

“If I can explain to a girl to not pick up a drink after she puts it down and that prevents a date rape; if that just saves one, I’ve done my job,” he said.

Ashley Torres may be contacted at a.torres@umiami.edu.

Rivero has been UM chief of police for about a year and half. He came to the university after working for the city of Miami police department for 26 years. His efforts at the university have been recognized – he recently received the Director of the Year award for education in Campus Safety magazine.

To know: To request lunch with the chief, email your name, C-number, preferred email address, phone number and date, time and location for lunch to chief@miami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...