Student shaves head to support sick children

Some people donate money or volunteer for charity. Others shave their head.

Freshman Alyssa Mische took a razor to her head outside of Stanford Residential College last month as part of a fund-raiser for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation to raise money for leukemia research.

Mische is one of tens of thousands of volunteers who participated in this event nationally to show support for the more than 160,000 children worldwide diagnosed with cancer every year.

“All I’m doing is giving up my hair,” Mische said. “How many children are lying sick in hospital beds not knowing how long they have to live?”

St. Baldrick’s is the world’s largest volunteer-driven fund-raising event for childhood cancer research. Since its first event in 2000, more than $34 million has been raised. Since 2005, the foundation has funded 13 fellowships and awarded more than $16 million to support research at 230 institutions.

But head shaving isn’t the only way to show support: Barbers are always needed to shave heads and anyone can do it. Alessandra Levy, Mische’s neighbor and close friend, said it was an honor to shave Mische’s hair.

“As I passed the razor I saw the hair on her head less and less,” Levy said. “It was an exciting feeling and I am happy I was a part of it.”

With a bald head, Mische will surely get a lot of attention, and she hopes this will inspire people to support the cause.

“I will be walking around with a box for the rest of the semester so that people can make donations,” Mische said.

Those who missed the event will have the opportunity to participate in another event on March 29. Mische is finalizing location details with Student Government, and she hopes more head shaving will take place at the Rock.

So far three students have registered to shave their heads. Though she admits the sound of the razor was nerve wracking, after it was all done she realized it really was not a big deal.

“I feel great today. I don’t know how I’ll feel tomorrow though,” Mische said after her hair cut.

Dan Morales, Mische’s best friend, was by her side during the head shaving.

“I am so proud of her, it is unbelievable. She has a heart of gold, and not to mention she looks phenomenal,” Morales said.

Denise Arredondo, a freshman and member of Stanford College Council, witnessed Mische’s hair transformation and said he was in awe.

“I don’t know how many people would have the guts to do this,” she said. “It’s intense. She is lucky though because she is a pretty girl.”

Matt Micklavzina, a Resident Assistant in Stanford, stopped in amazement to look at Mische’s new look, and said, “She put Natalie Portman’s haircut to shame.”

To learn more about how ways you can help save children’s lives, go to www.stbaldricks.org.

Valerie Reyes may be contacted at v.reyes1@umiami.edu.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...