Sorority celebrates minority mens’ success

“Will the man I nominated win?” This was the question on many girls’ minds as they joined the Sigma Gamma Rho sorority to celebrate the minority men on campus at the annual Brothers Appreciation Dinner.

The dinner, co-sponsored by the Black Awareness Month committee, was held at the Alma Jennings Foundation Student Lounge Feb. 18. The lounge was given a golden makeover, with gold table cloths, centerpieces and floral decorations. The walls were adorned with pictures of the nominees and famous minority men.

Brothers Appreciation Dinner was created more than six years ago by members of Sigma Gamma Rho to recognize the accomplishments of minority men on campus.

This year, there were eight awards given out, including Mr. Intellectual, Mr. Congeniality and Sigma Man of the Year. In the weeks leading up to the dinner, ladies on campus voted on the various awards through nomination forms found in the United Black Students office.

Some of these ladies later volunteered as hostesses and servers at the dinner. With coordinated black and white outfits, the women catered to the men by escorting them to their tables and bringing them their dinner and dessert on gold platters.

“Tonight we wanted to make sure we thanked you for all that you’ve done for us,” said Marjorie Pierre, president of Sigma Gamma Rho, at the beginning of the program. “Too often women want men to cater to them, but tonight we want to cater to you.”

The young men were also treated to original poetry and serenaded by a rendition of India Arie’s “The Truth.” The awards were announced and Christopher Williams was named as the Sigma Man of the Year.

“It feels good. It’s been a long time coming,” Williams, a senior and the president of Organization for Jamaican Unity, said. “It’s such an honor to even be nominated.”

Some ladies even considered it a privilege to be a part of the celebration.

“We tend to focus on the negative aspects of our young black men and the black community as a whole,” said Stephanie Felix, a junior who volunteered at the dinner. “Sometimes it’s important that we look to what is good in our black brothers.”

Ashley Calloway may be contacted at a.calloway@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...