Sorority celebrates minority mens’ success

“Will the man I nominated win?” This was the question on many girls’ minds as they joined the Sigma Gamma Rho sorority to celebrate the minority men on campus at the annual Brothers Appreciation Dinner.

The dinner, co-sponsored by the Black Awareness Month committee, was held at the Alma Jennings Foundation Student Lounge Feb. 18. The lounge was given a golden makeover, with gold table cloths, centerpieces and floral decorations. The walls were adorned with pictures of the nominees and famous minority men.

Brothers Appreciation Dinner was created more than six years ago by members of Sigma Gamma Rho to recognize the accomplishments of minority men on campus.

This year, there were eight awards given out, including Mr. Intellectual, Mr. Congeniality and Sigma Man of the Year. In the weeks leading up to the dinner, ladies on campus voted on the various awards through nomination forms found in the United Black Students office.

Some of these ladies later volunteered as hostesses and servers at the dinner. With coordinated black and white outfits, the women catered to the men by escorting them to their tables and bringing them their dinner and dessert on gold platters.

“Tonight we wanted to make sure we thanked you for all that you’ve done for us,” said Marjorie Pierre, president of Sigma Gamma Rho, at the beginning of the program. “Too often women want men to cater to them, but tonight we want to cater to you.”

The young men were also treated to original poetry and serenaded by a rendition of India Arie’s “The Truth.” The awards were announced and Christopher Williams was named as the Sigma Man of the Year.

“It feels good. It’s been a long time coming,” Williams, a senior and the president of Organization for Jamaican Unity, said. “It’s such an honor to even be nominated.”

Some ladies even considered it a privilege to be a part of the celebration.

“We tend to focus on the negative aspects of our young black men and the black community as a whole,” said Stephanie Felix, a junior who volunteered at the dinner. “Sometimes it’s important that we look to what is good in our black brothers.”

Ashley Calloway may be contacted at a.calloway@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...