Newspaper coverage of SG falls short again

Since starting at UM last August, I’ve been thrilled to see everything the campus has to offer. While it is to be expected that not everything would be to my taste, I must admit that the newspaper has proven more than a little disappointing. First of all, it seems natural to expect a college-level newspaper run by journalism students to appear as such. However, the numerous errors suggest otherwise. Additionally, the paper often reads as a series of rants that were compiled last minute; very little research ever seems to be done on major articles and the articles tend to glaze over important issues.

For example, before denouncing SG for not doing anything about the projects, it might behoove The Hurricane staff to actually do some research. To bash fellow students with limited power is a bit arbitrary. Even more frustrating is the coverage of stories. An example would be the current SG election. Although some space was devoted to the vice presidential debates and a brief spread comparing the three presidential candidates, only a small blurb with a tiny, angled picture was printed on the presidential debates. The blurb stated that “full coverage” would be available on the Web site. Yet, when I went to the Web site to see what the “full coverage” was, I was met by nothing more than the same picture and blurb. I was present at the debates and there was certainly more to report on than the fact that they happened. Additionally, nothing is ever mentioned about any other elections. During election week, the paper should be encouraging students to get out and vote, not pushing the issues under the rug. Because if students aren’t involved, then SG doesn’t know what the student body wants. And when SG doesn’t know, they get blamed for not meeting the students’ needs – particularly in this paper.

– Rachael Goldberg
SG Senator
Freshman

Editor’s note

The Miami Hurricane wrote a story on the SG presidential debate, which was posted online last Friday. Also, the editorials on Feb. 11 and 21 encouraged students to vote.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...