MEN’S TENNIS: No. 26 overcomes weather for win

Click here to view this slideshow

Despite unfriendly weather conditions, the No. 26 men’s tennis team defeated Furman 5-2 to improve to 5-0 at home and 6-2 overall.

Just as they have been doing all season, the Hurricanes won the first point of the match for doubles, with wins from both the No. 10 pairing of junior Daniel Vallverdu and freshman Carl Sundberg and the team comprising junior David Rosenfeld and senior Vivek Subramanian.

“It’s crucial against any team [to win doubles],” head coach Mario Rincon said. “On a day like today when it was really windy and conditions were difficult, you never know what’s going to happen and being ahead 1-0 after doubles is huge. Thankfully we got the point and we were able to win a few more matches. This match was closer than what the score indicates.”

Even after falling in straight-set losses on courts two and six, the Canes were able to win the other four singles matches, including straight-set wins for No. 4 Vallverdu, sophomore J.C. Whitner and Sundberg.

“Danny [Vallverdu] is certainly one of the best players in the country,” Rincon said. “He shows up for both singles and doubles. He’s a great competitor and leader and he brings his best tennis out there. When I watch him he seems like he enjoys the competition and the pressure.”

Subramanian, down after a tough and long first set loss, came back to win the next two sets in a tiebreaker at the third spot, 6-8, 6-1, 10-4.

“Before the match started I wasn’t feeling too well,” Subramanian said. “I was thinking to myself, ‘There’s no way I’m going to lose this match,’ especially after watching how these guys were competing next to me. I just had it in my mind to stay out there as long as I could. I knew that if I just stepped on him in the beginning of the second set I would be able to capitalize.”

Miami begins its ACC schedule against Georgia Tech next Friday in Atlanta.

“We have a few days to work on things and hopefully play and prepare for our ACC competition,” Rincon said. “I believe we’ve played really well to this point and our best tennis is ahead of us.”

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...