MEN’S TENNIS: No. 26 overcomes weather for win

Click here to view this slideshow

Despite unfriendly weather conditions, the No. 26 men’s tennis team defeated Furman 5-2 to improve to 5-0 at home and 6-2 overall.

Just as they have been doing all season, the Hurricanes won the first point of the match for doubles, with wins from both the No. 10 pairing of junior Daniel Vallverdu and freshman Carl Sundberg and the team comprising junior David Rosenfeld and senior Vivek Subramanian.

“It’s crucial against any team [to win doubles],” head coach Mario Rincon said. “On a day like today when it was really windy and conditions were difficult, you never know what’s going to happen and being ahead 1-0 after doubles is huge. Thankfully we got the point and we were able to win a few more matches. This match was closer than what the score indicates.”

Even after falling in straight-set losses on courts two and six, the Canes were able to win the other four singles matches, including straight-set wins for No. 4 Vallverdu, sophomore J.C. Whitner and Sundberg.

“Danny [Vallverdu] is certainly one of the best players in the country,” Rincon said. “He shows up for both singles and doubles. He’s a great competitor and leader and he brings his best tennis out there. When I watch him he seems like he enjoys the competition and the pressure.”

Subramanian, down after a tough and long first set loss, came back to win the next two sets in a tiebreaker at the third spot, 6-8, 6-1, 10-4.

“Before the match started I wasn’t feeling too well,” Subramanian said. “I was thinking to myself, ‘There’s no way I’m going to lose this match,’ especially after watching how these guys were competing next to me. I just had it in my mind to stay out there as long as I could. I knew that if I just stepped on him in the beginning of the second set I would be able to capitalize.”

Miami begins its ACC schedule against Georgia Tech next Friday in Atlanta.

“We have a few days to work on things and hopefully play and prepare for our ACC competition,” Rincon said. “I believe we’ve played really well to this point and our best tennis is ahead of us.”

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...