MEN’S BASKETBALL: Clemson Tigers stop Canes four-game win streak

After battling back from a 21-point deficit, the Hurricanes failed to secure a win on Wednesday night, falling to the Clemson Tigers, 79-69.

The loss snapped Miami’s (19-8, 6-7 ACC) four-game winning streak and tied their season series with Clemson (20-7, 8-5 ACC) at 1-1.

The Tigers were led by K.C. Rivers, who scored 19 points while hitting 4-of-5 three-pointers. Jack McClinton paced the Canes with 18 points, 16 of which came in the second half. Dwayne Collins chipped in with 11 points and 10 rebounds.

Clemson jumped out to an early 10-0 lead at the start of the game thanks to seven quick points by James Mays. They then put together another 10-0 run, taking a 24-6 lead. The Tigers were hot from beyond the three-point line, connecting on 7-of-9 as a team in the first half. After leading by as many as 21 points, Clemson took a 41-24 lead into the half.

“You can’t come into an ACC game not ready to play because the other team will take it to you,” McClinton said. “And that is what Clemson did today.”

However, the Tigers came back cold, allowing Miami the opportunity to make a run. They did exactly that, going on a 10-2 run capped by a Collins dunk. That run made the score 43-34, cutting the lead to single digits for the first time since the initial seven minutes. McClinton, who scored only two points in the first half ignited a 7-0 Miami run, scoring all seven of Miami’s points to cut the lead to three.

A separate 7-0 run capped by a McClinton three-pointer gave Miami their first and only lead of the night, putting them up 60-59. But Clemson responded with a 7-0 run of their own, five of which came from Rivers. The Canes never got any closer than four points after that, eventually losing the game by 10.

Clemson did a good job pressuring Miami’s offense by using a full-court press for much of the game. The Canes were forced into 15 turnovers. The Tigers also shot the ball extremely well, hitting 51 percent of their shots from the field and 10-of-16 from beyond the three-point line. Clemson’s shooting really hurt Miami, who couldn’t match their torrid pace.

“I thought the first half, they scored a lot of points off turnovers, and that was part of us not being focused on taking care of the ball,” head coach Frank Haith said. “When you play Clemson, you got to take care of the basketball.”

One pleasant surprise for the Hurricanes was a play of Eddie Rios. He came off the bench and shot 5-of-8 from the field, finishing with 12 points and six assists.

After jumping out to a 20-point lead against Duke a week prior, the Hurricanes found themselves on the other end of the spectrum against Clemson, as they were the team that whittled away a significant lead.

“You could tell they were fresh…they were ready to roll,” Haith said. “We fought hard, but we got too far behind tonight.”

Miami will look to collect their 20th win of the season on Saturday, when they take on the Virginia Cavaliers at home.

Joel Brown may be contacted at j.brown22@umiami.edu.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...